The impeachment hearings charade is on confirming what everybody knows. But working on poor and middle-class policies cannot be placed on hold.
I understand how important the impeachment hearings are. But how distracting is it from our progressive agenda?
We are reaching the epoch of these impeachment hearings. The problem is that as the sugar high subsides, the question is whether progressives fighting against this president will have the fortitude necessary to fight even harder against all that oppose the progressive agenda from both parties.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Justice Democrats Accuses Buttigieg of Abandoning Medicare for All After Taking ‘Tons of Cash’ From Corporate Interests
Providing a two-year timeline of 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg’s remarks about Medicare for All, progressive advocacy group Justice Democrats on Wednesday accused the South Bend, Indiana mayor of abandoning support for single-payer healthcare in favor of an incremental half-measure after realizing “he could raise tons of cash from corporate executives in the pharmaceutical and insurance industry.”
Waleed Shahid, spokesperson for Justice Democrats, said in a statement that Buttigieg “has no credibility” to criticize fellow 2020 contenders Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for being “evasive” on Medicare for All “given how far his position has shifted over the past two years and how much money he’s been taking from Big Pharma and insurance executives.”
According to a Business Insider analysis published in August, Buttigieg—who is now running on a public option plan called “Medicare for All Who Want It”—has received more campaign cash from the healthcare industry than any other 2020 presidential candidate aside from President Donald Trump.
Shahid suggested Tuesday that industry cash played a role in Buttigieg’s decision to ditch Medicare for All and go on the attack against the popular proposal in campaign ads and the presidential debates.
“Buttigieg was for Medicare for All before he was against it,” said Shahid. “What happened this summer that made him abandon Medicare for All? He realized he was never going to beat Warren and Sanders as a progressive. He got scared of the fight. He realized he could raise tons of cash from corporate executives in the pharmaceutical and insurance industry.”
The Buttigieg campaign pushed back against Justice Democrats’ criticism on Twitter, insisting that the South Bend mayor expressed support for Medicare for All when it was “not synonymous” with the single-payer system proposed by Sanders’ Medicare for All legislation.
Shahid said that is “not true,” pointing to an op-ed Buttigieg wrote in 2004 expressing support for single-payer.
“The meaning [of Medicare for All] hasn’t changed,” said Shahid. “Him cozying up to the industry has.”
As part of a press release Wednesday morning, in an attempt to demonstrate how dramatically the mayor’s position on Medicare for All has shifted, Justice Democrats offered the following timeline of Buttigieg’s healthcare remarks dating back to early 2018:
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Watch Obama scorch, Herschel Walker- Georgia, elect Raphael Warnock. Tired is no excuse!
- Irresponsible Senators Ted Cruz & Lindsey Graham puts our military at risk with their vaccine stance.
- Sexist reporter mic-dropped by New Zealand PM at presser between two young female Prime Ministers
- SHAME! Executive & Congress may sacrifice rail workers to further enrich corporate America.
- Adam Kinzinger does not think Kevin McCarthy will last as Speaker of the House.
- We willfully submit ourselves to the new bondage, antiseptic slavery.
- A fed-up Arkansas Governor, Asa Hutchinson, throws Donald Trump under the bus.
- Watch Chuck Todd ding GOP Rep. James Comer with inconvenient facts as he bloviated about crime.
- These ‘STRONG MEN’ are at the heights of Republican hypocrisy amid their ongoing support for Trump.
- Philadelphia DA, Larry Krasner: Democrats have the answer to crime Republican policy fails
- Are you tired of being ripped off by Drug Companies? This is how we clip the wings of Big Pharma.
- Former Conservative Republican Steve Schmidt gets real about America, a necessary move to live up to our rhetoric.
- These exemplary women’s wins prove grassroots can beat money if there is democracy.
- Chuck Todd’s interview will haunt Mike Pence: Constitutional Rights for the unborn & forced births
- Host to Justice Thomas on marriage laws from the bench: There’re better ways to divorce your wife (FUNNY)
- Progressives are vilified as extreme. I am proud to be extreme.
- Billionaires are PARASITES: My caller disagreed with my characterization & then agreed at the end.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership in the next Congress
- Philanthropy by the mega-rich is anti-democratic. $100 million donation from Jeff Bezos explains it.
- WOW! Reporter takes down losing MAGA AZ Gov. Candidate Kari Lake with a striking barrage