The impeachment hearings charade is on confirming what everybody knows. But working on poor and middle-class policies cannot be placed on hold.
I understand how important the impeachment hearings are. But how distracting is it from our progressive agenda?
We are reaching the epoch of these impeachment hearings. The problem is that as the sugar high subsides, the question is whether progressives fighting against this president will have the fortitude necessary to fight even harder against all that oppose the progressive agenda from both parties.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Justice Democrats Accuses Buttigieg of Abandoning Medicare for All After Taking ‘Tons of Cash’ From Corporate Interests
Providing a two-year timeline of 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg’s remarks about Medicare for All, progressive advocacy group Justice Democrats on Wednesday accused the South Bend, Indiana mayor of abandoning support for single-payer healthcare in favor of an incremental half-measure after realizing “he could raise tons of cash from corporate executives in the pharmaceutical and insurance industry.”
Waleed Shahid, spokesperson for Justice Democrats, said in a statement that Buttigieg “has no credibility” to criticize fellow 2020 contenders Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for being “evasive” on Medicare for All “given how far his position has shifted over the past two years and how much money he’s been taking from Big Pharma and insurance executives.”
According to a Business Insider analysis published in August, Buttigieg—who is now running on a public option plan called “Medicare for All Who Want It”—has received more campaign cash from the healthcare industry than any other 2020 presidential candidate aside from President Donald Trump.
Shahid suggested Tuesday that industry cash played a role in Buttigieg’s decision to ditch Medicare for All and go on the attack against the popular proposal in campaign ads and the presidential debates.
“Buttigieg was for Medicare for All before he was against it,” said Shahid. “What happened this summer that made him abandon Medicare for All? He realized he was never going to beat Warren and Sanders as a progressive. He got scared of the fight. He realized he could raise tons of cash from corporate executives in the pharmaceutical and insurance industry.”
The Buttigieg campaign pushed back against Justice Democrats’ criticism on Twitter, insisting that the South Bend mayor expressed support for Medicare for All when it was “not synonymous” with the single-payer system proposed by Sanders’ Medicare for All legislation.
Shahid said that is “not true,” pointing to an op-ed Buttigieg wrote in 2004 expressing support for single-payer.
“The meaning [of Medicare for All] hasn’t changed,” said Shahid. “Him cozying up to the industry has.”
As part of a press release Wednesday morning, in an attempt to demonstrate how dramatically the mayor’s position on Medicare for All has shifted, Justice Democrats offered the following timeline of Buttigieg’s healthcare remarks dating back to early 2018:
Read My Current Blog Posts
- This MSNBC Host, Tiffany Cross health-scare story is a testament to the need for Medicare for All.
- Anti-vaxxers & Anti-maskers at board meetings. Yes! They are this crazy!
- This Joe Biden press conference was on point and should dispel many Right-Wing talking points.
- CBS’ The Activist pitting activists against each other begging for funds show this system’s cancer.
- Republicans are begging us to kill the filibuster. This is why we better listen.
- Jen Psaki skewers Peter Doocy over question: You think pregnant women are posing a big threat?
- 24-yr-old regrets following anti-vax nuts & advise all to get vaccinated. He is now dead!
- A graphic example of the unvaccinated causing the deaths of others indiscriminately.
- Here’s what you should know about the treatment of Haitian refugees on the border. Shocking!
- Journalist exposes lies & throws shade on MAGA protest: I did not hear anything rooted in reality.
- Indigenous activist: MAGA ralliers are just crash test dummies. Their politicians are the danger.
- Democrats, strategists: Listen to this organizer about leaning into our causes & values
- TX Rep. Jasmine Crockett identifies the most dangerous. It’s not the insurrectionists she fears.
- Jake Tapper completely destroys Mississippi Gov: With all due respect Governor, your way’s failing.
- Tiffany Cross schools ‘persecuted’ MAGA Treason Rally. We survived this act before & will again!
- Way to go, Biden. Many called him a neoliberal, but more progressive stuff seems to be coming out
- My thoughts on the 10-year anniversary of the Occupy Movement (Occupy Wall Street)
- Psaki lit into Fox News-like reporter. Florida won’t get larger share of antibodies. Get vaccinated
- Jen Psaki calls out Republican politicians attacking General Milley as insurrectionists.
- Hawaii Lt. Governor admonishes Red State Governors: You are killing your constituents.