Several doctors, activists, and Texas citizens rallied and lobbied at the Texas Capitol in Austin. Later they explained why accepting the Medicaid Expansion to the ACA is essential.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Politics Done Right (PDR) was very special today. Why? We did it on the road. Regulars know that we do not just stay in the studio. We brought you PDR from Netroots Nation 2018 in New Orleans and in many other venues.
Today we traveled to the Texas Capitol in Austin to rally and lobby Texas politicians to pass legislation to implement the Medicaid Expansion to the Affordable Care Act. We endured the below-freezing temperatures for the rally.
I interviewed Melissa McChesney, a Houston-based independent consultant for the Center for Public Policy Priorities and organizer of the Houston contingent of the rally. She was followed by Daniel Cohen, President of Indivisible Houston and prolific community organizer in the Houston Metropolitan area. I closed with Cedric Dark MD. MPH, FACEP, an emergency physician at Baylor College of Medicine and Founder and Executive Editor at Policy Prescriptions (Advocates for Evidence-Based Health Policy).
The interviews covered three distinct components. Each interviewee touched on some aspect of them
The first component pointed out the reasons that it is imperative we get the Medicaid Expansion to the Affordable Care now and the intransigence of the Republicans that are failing to support the expansion because of an immoral ideology. This is causing over 2,000 Texans to die unnecessarily every year for the lack of health care, Texas-Republican-Politicians sanctioned murders.
The second component was the process of getting activists involved in a manner that will ultimately provide positive results. This is not easy, but the rally is probative. It can be done.
The third component was the intersectionality between the current ACA with the proposed Medicare for All bill. Ultimately that is the healthcare system most Americans want. It is imperative that we lay that path sooner rather than later.
CNN: Pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly will sell a cheaper generic version of its rapid-acting insulin Humalog, according to a statement Monday from Chairman and CEO Dave Ricks. At 50% the price of Humalog, the generic insulin
lisprowill carry a list price of $137.35 per vial, the company said, or $265.20 for a pack of five pens. Brand-name Humalog will remain on the market.
The move comes amid growing concerns about the soaring prices of drugs — insulin in particular — which have led many people with diabetes to cut back on their insulin in order to save on costs, in some cases leading to harmful or even deadly complications. “We don’t want anyone to ration or skip doses of insulin due to affordability. And no one should pay the full Humalog retail price,” Ricks said, describing the generic drug as “a bridge that addresses gaps in the current system until we have a more sustainable model.”
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Are you tired of being ripped off by Drug Companies? This is how we clip the wings of Big Pharma.
- Former Conservative Republican Steve Schmidt gets real about America, a necessary move to live up to our rhetoric.
- These exemplary women’s wins prove grassroots can beat money if there is democracy.
- Chuck Todd’s interview will haunt Mike Pence: Constitutional Rights for the unborn & forced births
- Host to Justice Thomas on marriage laws from the bench: There’re better ways to divorce your wife (FUNNY)
- Progressives are vilified as extreme. I am proud to be extreme.
- Billionaires are PARASITES: My caller disagreed with my characterization & then agreed at the end.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership in the next Congress
- Philanthropy by the mega-rich is anti-democratic. $100 million donation from Jeff Bezos explains it.
- WOW! Reporter takes down losing MAGA AZ Gov. Candidate Kari Lake with a striking barrage
- EGGS ON HIS FACE! Democratic pundit Karen Finney’s analysis was genius as the smug one looks silly.
- Democratic & GOP pundits & Congressman school Republicans on reasons the Democrats won big.
- The GenZ and Millennial generations saved Democracy in America & here’s the proof.
- Stephanie Ruhle blast Republicans after they admit lying about the steal, CRT, and litter boxes
- REALLY? Fox News has a novel and condescendingly sexist message to get women to vote for Republicans
- Matthew Dowd nailed the election as if he was reading a crystal ball
- Fox News slams GOP: Voters said no thanks to the Republican alternative. They’ve indicted the Party.
- Clubs in Action via Humble Area Democrats canvass right up to this existential midterm.
- Billion-fueled Fascism is on the Nov. 8th Ballot
- I AGREE! Michael Moore says it is almost impossible for Democrats to lose the midterms — If …