Several doctors, activists, and Texas citizens rallied and lobbied at the Texas Capitol in Austin. Later they explained why accepting the Medicaid Expansion to the ACA is essential.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Politics Done Right (PDR) was very special today. Why? We did it on the road. Regulars know that we do not just stay in the studio. We brought you PDR from Netroots Nation 2018 in New Orleans and in many other venues.
Today we traveled to the Texas Capitol in Austin to rally and lobby Texas politicians to pass legislation to implement the Medicaid Expansion to the Affordable Care Act. We endured the below-freezing temperatures for the rally.
I interviewed Melissa McChesney, a Houston-based independent consultant for the Center for Public Policy Priorities and organizer of the Houston contingent of the rally. She was followed by Daniel Cohen, President of Indivisible Houston and prolific community organizer in the Houston Metropolitan area. I closed with Cedric Dark MD. MPH, FACEP, an emergency physician at Baylor College of Medicine and Founder and Executive Editor at Policy Prescriptions (Advocates for Evidence-Based Health Policy).
The interviews covered three distinct components. Each interviewee touched on some aspect of them
The first component pointed out the reasons that it is imperative we get the Medicaid Expansion to the Affordable Care now and the intransigence of the Republicans that are failing to support the expansion because of an immoral ideology. This is causing over 2,000 Texans to die unnecessarily every year for the lack of health care, Texas-Republican-Politicians sanctioned murders.
The second component was the process of getting activists involved in a manner that will ultimately provide positive results. This is not easy, but the rally is probative. It can be done.
The third component was the intersectionality between the current ACA with the proposed Medicare for All bill. Ultimately that is the healthcare system most Americans want. It is imperative that we lay that path sooner rather than later.
CNN: Pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly will sell a cheaper generic version of its rapid-acting insulin Humalog, according to a statement Monday from Chairman and CEO Dave Ricks. At 50% the price of Humalog, the generic insulin
lisprowill carry a list price of $137.35 per vial, the company said, or $265.20 for a pack of five pens. Brand-name Humalog will remain on the market.
The move comes amid growing concerns about the soaring prices of drugs — insulin in particular — which have led many people with diabetes to cut back on their insulin in order to save on costs, in some cases leading to harmful or even deadly complications. “We don’t want anyone to ration or skip doses of insulin due to affordability. And no one should pay the full Humalog retail price,” Ricks said, describing the generic drug as “a bridge that addresses gaps in the current system until we have a more sustainable model.”
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Marjorie Taylor Greene gets some advice from Tiffany Cross as she skewers the congresswoman.
- Yep! Republican Gov: Trump’s TOXIC. GOP showing insanity & signals BIG LIE deniers not wanted.
- Wow! Chuck Todd neuters Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw, ‘There is nothing lazier than that excuse.’
- An example of why Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene is a thug and clear and present danger
- Interviews like Ayman Mohyeldin and Israeli ambassador show the importance of diversity.
- Jen Psaki rebuked reporter: Less worried about press conferences & political games being played.
- GOP Strategist: Lying is a litmus test. Civil War continues. I-am-not-crazy coalition on the way
- Former Republican Rep on New Party: Conservative does not mean crazy. Be balanced & not nuts.
- Biden comes out swinging diplomatically at business: Want employees? Pay them a living wage!
- Watch Jen Psaki used reporter’s question to throw shade on a Republican Party in complete disarray.
- Strategist: GOP Civil War is over & Conservatives have lost. Two parties left, traitors & patriots
- Stephanie Ruhle gets it right. If businesses want workers, pay them more.
- Jen Psaki is cool as she dismantles an incompetent ‘People are saying’ Newsmax Right-Wing reporter.
- Biden on top of his game: Snuffs out GOP narrative blaming rescue plan for fewer jobs created.
- Chuck Todd meticulously destroys the Republican Party. They’ll implode, or the country will.
- Mitch McConnell has proven we must believe him at his word. Democrats better act accordingly!
- MSNBC host uses her good fortune to blast America’s draconian family leave & other social policies
- Biden blinks, Progressive’s fight to #FreeTheVaccine may yet save the world and the rest of us.
- Oops! Republican Projection: Man convicted of voter fraud in PA voted for Trump & more to come
- This McConnell statement a green light to write the jobs/infrastructure/family bills Americans want