Texas, Houston, Kingwood are flooded again. Many friends have just recovered from Harvey and are flooded again. This is not an act of God.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Texas, Houston, Kingwood flooding again.
These floods are not acts of God. This is the cumulative action of what man has done to the environment and where they have encouraged people to live. This is just physics playing out. Sadly those responsible for the problem would like one to see it as an unlucky act of God. It is not. It’s science. Every oil company’s scientist has climate, modeled. There are court documents. They know exactly what is happening. That is why I do not mince words when I refer to them as evil.
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
Imelda wasn’t a category anything. It was never a hurricane at all. It barely reached tropical storm intensity in time to collect a name before passing over land and has already disintegrated into post-storm “remnants.” However, following the predictions of many weather models describing the effects of the climate crisis, Imelda has followed a now familiar pattern and turned into a slow-moving tropical depression whose damaging effects come in the form of torrential, sustained rainfall.
Sections of Texas near Houston are expected to collect more than two feet of rainfall before the last of Imelda fades away. In addition, the storm has spawned tornadoes that tore across the region overnight. The National Weather Service continues to warn of life-threatening flash flood conditions and cautions residents in the area to avoid travel on flooded streets. Residents in four counties have been told to “shelter in place” and be prepared in case rising flood waters trap their in their homes.
Among the areas being inundated by Imelda are some of the same neighborhoods that were flooded in 2017, when Hurricane Harvey dropped similarly enormous rains on the region. The neighborhoods most at risk, then and now, are often those of the working class, in locations where the local government has not spent millions to provide protection from flooding. Some areas are suffering flooding considerably worse than that experienced during Harvey due to locally heavy rains overwhelming streams and drains.
It’s a reminder that the events following the devastating hurricane season of 2017 were far from unique. This type of storm, and this type of flooding, is likely to become ever more frequent, especially in coastal areas that are already suffering from sea level rise, the erosion of barrier islands, and the loss of coastal lowlands.
And it’s a reminder that the idea of a “climate refugee” doesn’t have to mean someone trying to enter the United States from a distant land ravaged by the climate crisis. It’s happening to many such people who already live in America.
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- These ‘STRONG MEN’ are at the heights of Republican hypocrisy amid their ongoing support for Trump.
- Philadelphia DA, Larry Krasner: Democrats have the answer to crime Republican policy fails
- Are you tired of being ripped off by Drug Companies? This is how we clip the wings of Big Pharma.
- Former Conservative Republican Steve Schmidt gets real about America, a necessary move to live up to our rhetoric.
- These exemplary women’s wins prove grassroots can beat money if there is democracy.
- Chuck Todd’s interview will haunt Mike Pence: Constitutional Rights for the unborn & forced births
- Host to Justice Thomas on marriage laws from the bench: There’re better ways to divorce your wife (FUNNY)
- Progressives are vilified as extreme. I am proud to be extreme.
- Billionaires are PARASITES: My caller disagreed with my characterization & then agreed at the end.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership in the next Congress
- Philanthropy by the mega-rich is anti-democratic. $100 million donation from Jeff Bezos explains it.
- WOW! Reporter takes down losing MAGA AZ Gov. Candidate Kari Lake with a striking barrage
- EGGS ON HIS FACE! Democratic pundit Karen Finney’s analysis was genius as the smug one looks silly.
- Democratic & GOP pundits & Congressman school Republicans on reasons the Democrats won big.
- The GenZ and Millennial generations saved Democracy in America & here’s the proof.
- Stephanie Ruhle blast Republicans after they admit lying about the steal, CRT, and litter boxes
- REALLY? Fox News has a novel and condescendingly sexist message to get women to vote for Republicans
- Matthew Dowd nailed the election as if he was reading a crystal ball
- Fox News slams GOP: Voters said no thanks to the Republican alternative. They’ve indicted the Party.
- Clubs in Action via Humble Area Democrats canvass right up to this existential midterm.