Philanthropy is a double edge sword. Edgar Villanueva points out several inconvenient truths about the giving industry and what must be done.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Edgar Villanueva has several messages for those who give, our philanthropists.
Edgar Villanueva is a philanthropy expert and author of Decolonizing Wealth: Indigenous Wisdom to Heal Divides and Restore Balance, around Indigenous People’s Day on Monday, October 14th. A member of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, Edgar’s professional and personal work has been dedicated to using money as medicine and indigenous teachings to redistribute wealth and power to address and correct a history of colonization and oppression. Edgar’s work addressing colonization, indigenous teachings, and racial equity has appeared in Forbes, Nonprofit Quarterly, Inside Philanthropy, New York Times and Vox.
With the upcoming presidential forum on Native American issues in August, candidates are likely to begin addressing the concerns of indigenous people from racial equity to poverty and economic opportunity. However, most of those candidates lack Native American advisors and the media outlets who cover them rarely feature the perspective of actual Native people.
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Civiqs poll: Republicans don’t need to stick with Trump—Mike Pence polls just as well
Republicans aren’t sticking with Donald Trump out of love, devotion, and loyalty. They are sticking with him out of fear—fear that the party base will punish them if they stray from anything short of Lindsey Graham-level obsequiousness, the equivalent of the emoji ?.
But what would happen if Republicans grew a spine and did what was good for the country, rather than what they perceive to be good for their quest for self-preservation? We asked that very question in the latest Civiqs-Daily Kos poll, matching up the leading Democrats against Vice President Mike Pence. We can compare those numbers with Civiqs’ 2020 Trump general election matchups from our late September poll.
The net difference between our Trump numbers and our Pence numbers is at most a single point. There’s a little more uncertainty with Pence on the ticket, but that could easily be statistical noise. Furthermore, the Republican base, that group of die-hard Trump supporters that Republicans fear so much? They are just about as firmly behind Pence as they are Trump.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Gov. Chris Christie slams Trump as a post-2020 election untethered self that’s killing GOP right now.
- Watch Obama scorch, Herschel Walker- Georgia, elect Raphael Warnock. Tired is no excuse!
- Irresponsible Senators Ted Cruz & Lindsey Graham puts our military at risk with their vaccine stance.
- Sexist reporter mic-dropped by New Zealand PM at presser between two young female Prime Ministers
- SHAME! Executive & Congress may sacrifice rail workers to further enrich corporate America.
- Adam Kinzinger does not think Kevin McCarthy will last as Speaker of the House.
- We willfully submit ourselves to the new bondage, antiseptic slavery.
- A fed-up Arkansas Governor, Asa Hutchinson, throws Donald Trump under the bus.
- Watch Chuck Todd ding GOP Rep. James Comer with inconvenient facts as he bloviated about crime.
- These ‘STRONG MEN’ are at the heights of Republican hypocrisy amid their ongoing support for Trump.
- Philadelphia DA, Larry Krasner: Democrats have the answer to crime Republican policy fails
- Are you tired of being ripped off by Drug Companies? This is how we clip the wings of Big Pharma.
- Former Conservative Republican Steve Schmidt gets real about America, a necessary move to live up to our rhetoric.
- These exemplary women’s wins prove grassroots can beat money if there is democracy.
- Chuck Todd’s interview will haunt Mike Pence: Constitutional Rights for the unborn & forced births
- Host to Justice Thomas on marriage laws from the bench: There’re better ways to divorce your wife (FUNNY)
- Progressives are vilified as extreme. I am proud to be extreme.
- Billionaires are PARASITES: My caller disagreed with my characterization & then agreed at the end.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership in the next Congress
- Philanthropy by the mega-rich is anti-democratic. $100 million donation from Jeff Bezos explains it.