Alex Lawson visited Politics Done Right at Netroots Nation 2023 #NN23 in Chicago, where he justifiably exposed Medicare Advantage for its fraud.
Alex Lawson on the fraud that is Medicare Advantage
- Introduction of Alex Lawson: Alex Lawson, Executive Director of Social Security Works, was introduced as an expert in healthcare, especially in areas concerning Medicare and Social Security.
- The issue with Private Insurance: Before Medicare, insurance companies wouldn’t insure older individuals due to high costs. However, private insurance companies have since re-entered the picture, and Lawson highlights that they often deny care to make profits.
- Misunderstanding about Medicare Advantage: Many Americans mistakenly believe that Medicare Advantage is the same as Medicare. The reality is that private companies like United Health manage Medicare Advantage, often denying or delaying care with various tactics to maximize executive bonuses and shareholder enrichment.
- The Overpayment Issue: Medicare Advantage costs more than standard Medicare. For every dollar spent on standard Medicare, $1.20 goes to Medicare Advantage, even though the latter often denies care more frequently.
- Push for Change: Lawson emphasizes the need to fight both for Medicare for All and against the predatory practices of Medicare Advantage simultaneously. He urges continuous advocacy and support from the public to reform the current system and to ensure all individuals receive the care they need.