Mike Doyle, Texas’ new Harris County Democratic Party Chairman, discusses where he’s taking the party. He has seven points he wants to highlight.
Democratic Chairman Mike Doyle speaks.
Harris County, Texas, is one of the bellwether counties in the country. Over the last several election cycles, it has lived up to expectations. Even in last year’s difficult election cycle, where obstacles from the state were in full vogue, the county proved that, in fact, the path to a blue Texas has its genesis in Harris County.
The Harris County Democratic Party leadership has changed. A few weeks ago, the precinct chairs elected a new chair. The county is blessed with scores of competent candidates who entered the race. A large majority of the precinct chairs elected Mike Doyle on the first ballot.
Chairman Doyle has hit the pavement running. He said that the key to the Harris County Democratic Party’s success is to view Voter Protection, Education, and Engagement as a Year-Round activity, not something that we think about only at election time. He has a seven-point plan for that.
- Start on Day One by building a Coordinated Campaign infrastructure that will turn out 1.1+ million Democratic votes in Harris County in 2024. This is critical to protect all our Democratic elected officials, but particularly our county-wide elected Judges and multicounty Appellate Court Justices.
- Make Voter Protection, Education, and Engagement a Priority Year-Round –Only by embedding voter protection, education, and engagement into all our information, tools, and processes can we overcome the obstacles Republicans are erecting to prevent Democrats from voting.
- Prioritize the work of Precinct Chairs by providing resources, information, and tools to support the critical work of organizing in our communities.
- Expand the Data Management team and ensure Democratic Clubs & Organizations and Precinct Chairs have access to VAN and other data tools to support their work and broaden their impact.
- Prioritize our Democratic Clubs and Organizations by providing resources and a full-time staff member to support and grow their critical work.
- Amplify and protect the work of Democratically elected officials –especially our Judges and other elected officials. Our Democratic officeholders are doing great work every day, and the Party needs to be consistently telling their stories loudly and clearly. We need to act NOW to defend our Democratic officials and Judges from a repeat of the threats, lies, and negative attacks they endured during the 2022 campaign.
- Prioritize fundraising by engaging Sustaining Members, traditional donors, and digital donors to fully fund and sustain the work of the Party.
Chairman Mike Doyle sits down in the studio with Politics Done Right to articulate the public version of his plan.