John Beard is a former employee of the petrochemical industry turned environmental activist and former politician. He keeps the pressure on the industry to do right by the community on their healthcare, environment, & more.
John Beard, Port Arthur, TX Environmental Activist
John Beard Jr. is an active member of his community, and has dedicated his life and career to serving the public.
He has over thirty two years of public service as an elected official; nine as city councilman and mayor pro-tem, with current and previous service on numerous boards and commissions with the City of Port Arthur.
He was educated in the Port Arthur, TX public school system, and attended Lamar University, with concentration in the areas of Political Science and Economics.
He has worked thirty-eight years in the Petrochemical Industry, with practical training and experience specifically in Maintenance services, Process Operations, Health, Safety and Environmental issues, Emergency Management and Incident Command Systems.
John Beard, Jr. is the founder, president, and executive director of the Port Arthur Community Action Network (“PA-CAN”), serving the Port Arthur/Southeast Texas area as a community advocate, focusing on environmental issues and community development.
John has also served the public in the following capacities:
- Member, Neches River Basin Regional Flood Planning Group;
- Chairman of the Pleasure Island Commission, City of Port Arthur, TX (COPA);
- Chairman, City of Port Arthur Zoning Board of Adjustments; and member, of the City of Port Arthur Charter Change Committee 2019.
- Mr. Beard, Jr.’s prior service includes former Vice Chairman, Port Arthur Economic Development Cooperation
Member, Charter Change Committee, City of Port Arthur (served on four previous committees):
- COPA Ad Hoc Fire Service Committee;
- COPA Pipeline Committee;
- COPA Water Plant Bond Issue Committee;
- COPA First Time Homebuyer’s Program; COPA Housing Loan Review Board; and COPA Clean Community and Beautification Committees.