Even as coronavirus puts most Americans at risk, we find that Republicans and some Democrats seem to acquiesce to corporate wants. Bernie Sanders’ policies are looking quite good now.
Sadly, the United States’ response to the coronavirus is as expected when one has a corporate-controlled government.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi gave the impression that the new coronavirus relief bill would cover sick leave for all employees. In other words, no one should fear staying home if they feel sick. It turns out one could drive a truck through the loopholes for corporations.
Today we will cover how even in a time of crisis our politicians keep the door open to make pandemics a profit center.
- NTNU in Norway Warns about Coronavirus, the United States’ Healthcare and Infrastructure
- Nancy Pelosi Once Again Bails Out a GOP President Facing a National Crisis
- Paid Sick Leave Loopholes: ‘There’s a Giant Hole in Pelosi’s Coronavirus Bill’
- New Polling Shows Widespread US Public Support for Paid Sick Leave, Medicare for All to Fight Coronavirus
- Trump to Governors: ‘Try Getting It Yourselves’ If You Need Life-Saving Equipment to Fight Coronavirus
Coronavirus must be an economic teaching tool.
We need Medicare for All
I want your stories. Have you had issues with your healthcare coverage? Have you had billing issues? Did you feel like your insurance company was trying to pull one over on you? I am interested in every story you have with regards to healthcare. Drop me a line at info[@]politicsdoneright.com. Let’s make Medicare For All a reality.
If you like what we do please do the following!
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right
- SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel here.
- LIKE our Facebook Page here.
- Become a Politics Done Right Subscriber here.
- Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level.
- Please consider supporting our GoFundMe equipment fund here.
- Or consider providing a contribution here.
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Paid Sick Leave Loopholes: ‘There’s a Giant Hole in Pelosi’s Coronavirus Bill’
“In fact, the bill guarantees sick leave only to about 20 percent of workers.”
Early Saturday morning the US House of Representatives voted 363-40 to pass a coronavirus relief package, days after the World Health Organization declared the virus a pandemic. The US Senate won’t take the bill up until at least Monday, because Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell decided to give Senators the weekend off.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is facing widespread criticism Saturday for misrepresenting what the legislation would actually do.
In a letter to her Democratic colleagues Saturday Pelosi wrote:
“I am very proud to write that the provisions we put forth with your input, including paid sick leave, paid family and medical leave, enhanced Unemployment Insurance, food security initiatives and free and widespread testing, are all included in this agreement. “
The New York Times editorialized Saturday afternoon:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi early Saturday celebrated passage of legislation she described as providing paid sick leave to American workers affected by the coronavirus.
She neglected to mention the fine print.
In fact, the bill guarantees sick leave only to about 20 percent of workers. Big employers like McDonald’s and Amazon are not required to provide any paid sick leave, while companies with fewer than 50 employees can seek hardship exemptions from the Trump administration.
“If you are sick, stay home,” Vice President Mike Pence said at a news conference on Saturday afternoon. “You’re not going to miss a paycheck.”
But that’s simply not true. Sick workers should stay home, but there is no guarantee in the emergency legislation that most of them will get paid.
The White House and congressional Republicans, who insisted on the exemptions as the price of bipartisan support for the legislation, bear the primary responsibility for the indefensible decision to prioritize corporate profits in the midst of a public health emergency…
The House’s failure to require universal paid sick leave is an embarrassment that endangers the health of workers, consumers and the broader American public.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Exchange with a racist who thinks he isn’t as he slams The 1619 Project & hates Voting Rights bills
- Sen Maggie Hassan: Never imagined that today’s Republican Party would fail to stand up for Democracy
- Claire McCaskill admonishes Democrats for bad messaging. They will deserve McConnell if they lose
- Schumer & Klobuchar schools seemingly Right-Wing reporters on voter suppression & more
- My response to a listener on Biden & Democrats not leaning into their good policies
- Katie Porter explained Biden’s economic success better than any other Democrat
- Bill Kristol has good advice for what Democrats should not do if they want to win
- Voting rights activists slam Kyrsten Sinema for supporting antithesis to Democracy on Joy-Ann Reid
- Jim Clyburn defends Biden for calling out politicians who are effectively supporting Jim Crow 2.0.
- Mitch McConnell does not believe African Americans are Americans
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar all but called Joe Manchin a liar on filibuster stance as she slammed Republicans
- Ali Velshi – Economic reality check: The mainstream media distorted how good the economy really is.
- FIERY SPEECH: MLK III excoriated Sinema & Manchin for their voting rights filibuster hypocrisy
- They said no to Build Back Better but billions to these private businesses, Corporate Socialism?
- My response to a projecting listener who said Democrats are separatists from American culture & values
- Have this on the tip of your tongue to defend Biden’s economy from Right-Wing liars.
- CNBC’s Ron Insana dispels the misinformation about the economy under President Biden
- Kyrsten Sinema: Her willfully naive Senate floor speech vs. when she had common sense on GOP obstruction.
- Sinema says no! Sen. Chris Murphy warns on filibuster! Two Democrats facilitating Trump’s 2024 coup!
- Morning Joe on Republican politicians & GOP ‘Grifters’ like Trump. It’s a ‘PTL Club Scheme.’