Many look at healthcare, Medicare for All and more in an abstract fashion. Empathy dictates seeing through the eyes of others and how their needs could be yours.
My financially struggling 3rd Year Medical Student daughter is about to get a bill she wouldn’t if we had Medicare for All
My daughter received excellent medical care for her recent unexpected stroke. The fear is, of course, that the bill she is about to receive; she will not be able to afford. Here is a young lady who went into medicine saying,
“Dad, I want to be a doctor to help all those underprivileged people I see suffering,” my daughter once told me. “I won’t ever get rich being a doctor because to be rich as a doctor means you cannot care too much for people.”
When she becomes a doctor she will be hundreds of thousands in debt just for medical school. When the bill for her stroke is tabulated and added (she cannot ever pay that till after college) it would add substantially to that debt. Interestingly, given her goal of taking care of people over getting rich, a pay-it-forward education would provide a much bigger bang for the buck as she concentrated on healing patients instead of maximizing profits from patients to pay off her debts.
We need Medicare for All
But we have been so indoctrinated by a plutocracy who would prefer to pilfer all, we just are having a hard time getting to Medicare for All which would solve all of these problems.
- Oleg, a Trump-voting Republican who is now singing the praises of Obamacare and possibly Medicare for All.
- Dr. America explains Medicare for All in detail.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
The End of American Exceptionalism? Study Indicates Failure of US Democracy Creating Wave of Self Doubt
A new study shows that less than half of all Americans are satisfied with the nation’s democratic system.
More Americans are dissatisfied with democracy than at any point since records began in 1995, according to a new study published Wednesday, and the number of citizens with a positive view of the U.S. system of government dipped for the first time below 50%.
To observers like journalist Rania Khalek, the reason for such a shift in global attitudes was clear.
“Our systems aren’t actually democratic,” said Khalek. “We live in a miserable oligarchy, no wonder people are unhappy.”
A majority of people around the world—57.5%—are dissatisfied with democracy, the University of Cambridge’s Centre for the Future of Democracy study (pdf) found.
“If confidence in democracy has been slipping, it is because democratic institutions have been seen failing to address some of the major crises of our era, from economic crashes to the threat of global warming,” said study lead author Dr Roberto Foa.
According to the study, Americans’ dissatisfaction with democracy has been on the rise since the financial crisis of 2008:
Read My Current Blog Posts
- What is a so-called “passive solar” house and can I retrofit my existing house accordingly?
- Build the wall — at Texas’ entry to New Mexico
- CNN Tapper pressures Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves on Trump election conspiracy theory, FAIL!
- CNN: Tapper & ABC: Raddatz grilled Sen. Joe Manchin with inconvenient questions & got naive
- Chuck Todd schools Senator Manchin: Filibuster was never an idea of the Founding Fathers.
- Texas PUC admits ripping off Texans during Electric Grid freeze and all but tells them to suck it up.
- How to resolve “Your content violated YouTube’s Community Guidelines and has been removed”
- WH Press Sec. Jen Psaki throws the bipartisanship question back at Republicans. You are the outliers
- This! Hallie Jackson blows holes into Republican Senator Braun’s COVID bill objections in real-time
- After explaining Medicare For All to Right-Winger w/o using its name, she blurted: You are so nice!
- Discussing race, ethnicity, differences, & equality in America at a Living Room Conversations event
- AOC is right. Giving Relief Checks to Fewer People Than Trump Would Be Nonsensical. Here is why!
- “Callous?!” Look in the Mirror, Gov. Abbott – Charlotte Vaughan Coyle
- Texas Gov. Abbott’s “Neanderthal Thinking” may be an attempt to sabotage Biden’s COVID success.
- Deregulation always benefits – somebody
- Every Democrat must use these selective words about the insurrection enablers this Congressman used
- Republican Senator who voted to convict Trump threw him further under the bus, implying he’s a loser.
- Why not supporting massive minimum wage increases is the sanctioning of wage theft.
- Is GOP Senator implying a large number of Republican COVID Relief Bill supporters are freeloaders?
- Jen Psaki squashes mainstream media pushing the Republican narrative on the COVID Relief Bill.