Trump has supporters, a very rural base believing he is in it for them. In reality, he is killing them, bankrupting them, or both. Medicare for All is a partial answer for them.
As an independent blogger/journalist it is my job to be truthful. Medicare for All is an obvious first step to rebuild their health slide.
More importantly, they will stop losing hospitals and in fact gain some. Sadly, because the current state of healthcare is largely profit base and as such anathema to providing service in rural areas, the people that currently worship Trump based on his false promises and lies are in dire straits. Medicare for All will rebuild them healthwise and financially.
- Trump support for Eddie Gallagher
- Bernie Sanders outperforms Biden in beating Trump.
- Skyrocketing Private Insurance.
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
America’s Biggest Lie: We Can’t Afford Medicare for All
For too long we have allowed a false narrative on healthcare. This has allowed the plutocracy and its wards to frame Medicare for All as unaffordable.
Think about how much your income would go up if you didn’t have to pay for healthcare at all. That would begin to close the gap between productivity and wages for the first time in a generation.
by Les Leopold
Pundits and politicians repeatedly warn us that the country cannot afford costly social services. They caution about the perils of a rising national debt, the supposed near bankruptcy of Medicare and Social Security, and the need to sell public services to the highest bidder in order to save them. We must tighten our belts sooner or later, they tell us, rather than spend on social goods like universal health care, free higher education and badly needed infrastructure.
To many Americans this sounds all too true because they are having an incredibly tough time making ends meet. According to the Federal Reserve, “Four in 10 adults in 2017 would either borrow, sell something, or not be able pay if faced with a $400 emergency expense.” To those who are so highly stressed financially, the idea of paying for a costly program like Medicare for All sounds impossible.
We are the richest country in the history of the world, however, and certainly could afford vastly expanded and improved vital public services if we had the will. What stands in the way is runaway inequality. Our nation’s wealth has been hijacked by the super-rich, with plenty of aid from their paid-for politicians.
Over the past 40 years the top fraction of the top one percent have systematically denied working people the fruits of their enormous productivity. The results of this wage theft can be seen clearly in the chart below which tracks productivity (output per hour of labor) and average weekly wages (after accounting for inflation) of non-supervisory and production workers (about 85 percent of the workforce).
The red line shows the rise of American productivity since WWII. While not a perfect measurement of the power of our economy, it does capture our overall level of knowledge, technical skills, worker effort, management systems, and technology. Ever-rising productivity is the key to the wealth of nations.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Republican on Trump: Mentally unraveling under COVID-19 pressure.
- How did corn become the dominant crop? Any environmental consequences?
- Taxpayers Paid Millions to Design a Low-Cost Ventilator for a Pandemic. Instead, the Company Is Selling Versions of It Overseas.
- His words clearly show Trump’s ‘war profiteering’ in full vogue.
- Professor points out the insanity and inhumanity of America’s unemployment system
- Rachel Maddow exposes inept COVID-19 purposeful response by the Trump Administration
- Texan torches Texas Governor: ‘you are a killer,’ ‘bringing hell on earth to Texas.’
- Trump touts being #1 on Facebook as he discussed Iran
- Right-Wing Media Joined Trump in Enabling Health Disaster
- Coronavirus Economics vs. Public Health is a False Choice