Gentrification is full-speed-ahead throughout the country. The question, as property value inflates, who wins? Who loses?
Two Atlanta area activists who are actively in the crosshairs of gentrification joins Politics Done Right.
The effects are not what one may believe looking in from the outside. “The place looks much better,” some say. But can those who live there partake of the revitalization. Are said changes the ones that best address the totality of all in the communities affected?
Politics Done Right’s regular contributor Robby Caban, the Real Estate Activist continues her mission not only to expose corruption but to help do something about it.
First-time guest Kamau Franklin is impressive. He is the founder and Board President of Community Movement Builders, Inc. and has been a dedicated community organizer for over twenty years, first in New York City and now based in the south. For 18 years he was a leading member of a national grassroots organization dedicated to the ideas of self-determination and the teachings of Malcolm X. He has worked on various issues including youth organizing and development, police misconduct, and creating sustainable urban communities.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Here we go again: Campaign press ignoring Democratic policy
There’s been a complete transformation in how the campaign press covers elections in the last decade, and it’s a defining change that’s benefiting Republicans, and specifically Donald Trump. The change is in the way the press has dramatically curtailed its coverage of policy and of what candidate agendas look like.
Coverage of policy proposals used to be a hallmark of presidential campaign reporting, with journalists outlining what candidates stood for, describing what their presidencies might look like, and comparing and contrasting their platforms with those of their opponents. What would the new president’s top priorities be on the first day of his or her new administration? Policy now takes a backseat to scandals and viral moments from the trail.
“This tendency, in turn, allows important issues such as health care, climate change and reproductive rights to fall off the agenda every time a Trump-driven media cycle emerges from some new outrage or a flavor-of-the-day controversy pops up,” according to new research from Northeastern University’s School of Journalism. Students in the school’s Storybench program recently analyzed 10,000 news articles on the 2020 Democratic candidates published between March and October of this year by a diverse range of 28 news outlets. The study indicates that coverage of the candidates’ positions on immigration and health care flared up during the televised debates, but then quickly subsided once that moment passed. In other words, substantive issues basically disappear when yet another Trump controversy erupts.
“For several generations now, most media coverage of presidential politics has consisted of pack journalism focused on polls and the controversies of the day,” the researchers write. “Given the press’ disastrous performance in the 2016 campaign, one might have hoped that it would be different this time around. So far, though, it’s been business as usual, which our analysis helps confirm.”
Indeed, we’ve seen this disappointing act before.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Rep. Jayapal obliterates CNN’s Bash attempt to carry a ‘Hierarchy of Oppression’ Israeli narrative.
- Netanyahu defies Biden: He boasted about controlling US and going against US for ground invasion.
- GOP Staffer: Everybody should vote for Joe Biden if they want our Democracy to survive.
- Explanation of Medicare and why Medicare Advantage is a SCAM on all taxpayers.
- SAD: Family finds out that America may be just as violent & dangerous as Gaza.
- Chris Hayes points out some economic truths about inflation and more. Ignore the GOP narrative.
- A good cop agrees that good cops must call out bad cops to fix America’s bad cop problem.
- Amy McGrath GOP elevating their most embarrassing, arrogant ignorants puts our security at risk.
- Former GOP Senator all but called democracy the enemy because Americans love progressive policies.
- Michael Steele nails it on progressives protesting Israel’s actions in Gaza. Don’t blame TikTok.
- MEDICARE SCAM: 7 questions to ask before it’s too late to protect you from Medicare Advantage scams.
- SHOCKING /TELLING: Admin official is unable to deny Israel is committing war crimes in Gaza.
- This interview highlights the organic media bias in reporting the Israel-Hamas-Palestine conflict.
- Joe Manchin is to the Right of America and can’t win. Matthew Dowd & Simone Sanders nail it.
- WARNING TO DEMOCRATS: Univision will be the ‘Latinofied’ Fox News created by the Centrist vacuum.
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore warns Manchin on 3rd party run: Don’t do something foolish to your legacy.
- Dana Bash calls out Israel’s U.N. Ambassador for denying Gaza’s humanitarian crisis they created.
- Jewish Senator Bernie Sanders admonishes Israel: STOP THE BOMBING! Two two-state solution’s a must.
- The censure of Rashida Tlaib is an attack on our freedom to think and express ourselves critically.
- Netanyahu lies: Gaza before & after satellite pictures say it all about the destruction & carnage.