Platitudes & delusion vs. Americans’ lived experiences. Professor Economist Richard Wolff schooled Whole Foods founder John Mackey on capitalism.
Economist Richard Wolff made the pretentious John Mackey seem like your typical snake oil salesperson as the professor countered and explained the capitalism doctrine.
Richard Wolff did not try to specifically articulate what a replacement system for capitalism as we know it would be called. That said he described the tenets of said system which when expressed is clearly more humane and democratic than our current economic model. The debate conducted by Intelligence Squared Debates. The winner of the debate is determined by who had the largest positive movement from the baseline. Dr. Wolff and his partner Jacobin’s Bhaskar Sunkara beat out John Mackey and Reason’s editor-in-chief Katherine Mangu-Ward.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Analysis of Primetime MSNBC Programs Finds Sanders Received ‘Least’ and ‘Most Negative’ Coverage of Top 2020 Democrats
A comprehensive analysis of MSNBC’s primetime cable programs published Thursday by In These Times found that Sen. Bernie Sanders received the least frequent and most negative coverage of the top three candidates for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination over a recent two-month period.
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), meanwhile, were covered more often and far more favorably by the purportedly liberal network.
The investigation, titled “MSNBC’s Bernie Blackout,” examined August and September coverage of Sanders, Biden, and Warren on six of the network’s major cable shows: The 11th Hour With Brian Williams, All In With Chris Hayes, The Beat With Ari Melber, Hardball With Chris Matthews, The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell, and The Rachel Maddow Show.
“The coverage quickly revealed a pattern,” wrote journalist Branko Marcetic, the author of the new analysis. “Over the two months, these six programs focused on Biden, often to the exclusion of Warren and Sanders. Sanders received not only the least total coverage (less than one-third of Biden’s), but the most negative.”
The analysis, which is the cover story for In These Times magazine’s December issue, found:
- 64% of the 240 episodes examined discussed Biden, 43% discussed Warren, and 36% discussed Sanders;
- 25% of the episodes only discussed Biden, while just 5% mentioned only Warren and 1% mentioned only Sanders;
- Sanders had the highest percentage of negative mentions (20.7%) and the lowest percentage of positive mentions (12.9%);
- 87% of Sanders’ negative mentions came from Matthews’ Hardball and Williams’ 11th Hour;
- Warren had the lowest percentage of negative mentions (7.9%) and the highest percentage of positive mentions (30.6%);
- 11.3% percent of Biden’s mentions were negative.
“While pundits get paid to have opinions, MSNBC’s seem to dwell in an alternate reality,” wrote Marcetic. “As momentum mounts for longstanding liberal goals like single-payer healthcare and bold climate action, MSNBC’s coverage seems devoted, instead, to narrowing the liberal imagination.”
“MSNBC has close ties to a Democratic establishment that finds the politics of Biden (and even Warren) more palatable than Sanders’ ‘political revolution,'” Marcetic noted.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Chris Hayes points out some economic truths about inflation and more. Ignore the GOP narrative.
- A good cop agrees that good cops must call out bad cops to fix America’s bad cop problem.
- Amy McGrath GOP elevating their most embarrassing, arrogant ignorants puts our security at risk.
- Former GOP Senator all but called democracy the enemy because Americans love progressive policies.
- Michael Steele nails it on progressives protesting Israel’s actions in Gaza. Don’t blame TikTok.
- MEDICARE SCAM: 7 questions to ask before it’s too late to protect you from Medicare Advantage scams.
- SHOCKING /TELLING: Admin official is unable to deny Israel is committing war crimes in Gaza.
- This interview highlights the organic media bias in reporting the Israel-Hamas-Palestine conflict.
- Joe Manchin is to the Right of America and can’t win. Matthew Dowd & Simone Sanders nail it.
- WARNING TO DEMOCRATS: Univision will be the ‘Latinofied’ Fox News created by the Centrist vacuum.
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore warns Manchin on 3rd party run: Don’t do something foolish to your legacy.
- Dana Bash calls out Israel’s U.N. Ambassador for denying Gaza’s humanitarian crisis they created.
- Jewish Senator Bernie Sanders admonishes Israel: STOP THE BOMBING! Two two-state solution’s a must.
- The censure of Rashida Tlaib is an attack on our freedom to think and express ourselves critically.
- Netanyahu lies: Gaza before & after satellite pictures say it all about the destruction & carnage.
- Mehdi Hasan has a message to Democrats over Biden’s sinking polls: Calm down! Here is what to do!
- KUDOS to Rep Jayapal saying that challenging misdeeds by the Israeli government isn’t antisemitic.
- Stephanopoulos slams Scalise for CBO doubletalk on funding Israel vs IRS agents auditing tax cheats.
- What’s the connection between the onset of global warming & an increase in violent human behavior?
- What’s the latest, greatest, and greenest today in countertop materials, flooring, paint, and appliances?