Platitudes & delusion vs. Americans’ lived experiences. Professor Economist Richard Wolff schooled Whole Foods founder John Mackey on capitalism.
Economist Richard Wolff made the pretentious John Mackey seem like your typical snake oil salesperson as the professor countered and explained the capitalism doctrine.
Richard Wolff did not try to specifically articulate what a replacement system for capitalism as we know it would be called. That said he described the tenets of said system which when expressed is clearly more humane and democratic than our current economic model. The debate conducted by Intelligence Squared Debates. The winner of the debate is determined by who had the largest positive movement from the baseline. Dr. Wolff and his partner Jacobin’s Bhaskar Sunkara beat out John Mackey and Reason’s editor-in-chief Katherine Mangu-Ward.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Analysis of Primetime MSNBC Programs Finds Sanders Received ‘Least’ and ‘Most Negative’ Coverage of Top 2020 Democrats
A comprehensive analysis of MSNBC’s primetime cable programs published Thursday by In These Times found that Sen. Bernie Sanders received the least frequent and most negative coverage of the top three candidates for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination over a recent two-month period.
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), meanwhile, were covered more often and far more favorably by the purportedly liberal network.
The investigation, titled “MSNBC’s Bernie Blackout,” examined August and September coverage of Sanders, Biden, and Warren on six of the network’s major cable shows: The 11th Hour With Brian Williams, All In With Chris Hayes, The Beat With Ari Melber, Hardball With Chris Matthews, The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell, and The Rachel Maddow Show.
“The coverage quickly revealed a pattern,” wrote journalist Branko Marcetic, the author of the new analysis. “Over the two months, these six programs focused on Biden, often to the exclusion of Warren and Sanders. Sanders received not only the least total coverage (less than one-third of Biden’s), but the most negative.”
The analysis, which is the cover story for In These Times magazine’s December issue, found:
- 64% of the 240 episodes examined discussed Biden, 43% discussed Warren, and 36% discussed Sanders;
- 25% of the episodes only discussed Biden, while just 5% mentioned only Warren and 1% mentioned only Sanders;
- Sanders had the highest percentage of negative mentions (20.7%) and the lowest percentage of positive mentions (12.9%);
- 87% of Sanders’ negative mentions came from Matthews’ Hardball and Williams’ 11th Hour;
- Warren had the lowest percentage of negative mentions (7.9%) and the highest percentage of positive mentions (30.6%);
- 11.3% percent of Biden’s mentions were negative.
“While pundits get paid to have opinions, MSNBC’s seem to dwell in an alternate reality,” wrote Marcetic. “As momentum mounts for longstanding liberal goals like single-payer healthcare and bold climate action, MSNBC’s coverage seems devoted, instead, to narrowing the liberal imagination.”
“MSNBC has close ties to a Democratic establishment that finds the politics of Biden (and even Warren) more palatable than Sanders’ ‘political revolution,'” Marcetic noted.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Sen. Heitkamp hands Gov. Christie his a$$ on subsidizing state taxes. Southern states are the takers!
- Chuck Todd ridicules Mississippi Governor on vaccine mandate objection: It’s a pro-life position.
- The two infrastructure bills may be a worse capitulation than the two Obamacare bills.
- Mainstream media reporter tells an inconvenient truth about a 17-yr-old killer & the justice system.
- Big Pharma uses the patent system to rip us off. Example: Insulin costs $6 to make. We pay $300.
- What gun culture looks like- Simple problems solve by shooting & killing in broad daylight
- Panelists inadvertently inferred that our mythical free market is a fraud. Did you hear it?
- Biden slams profiteering oil company corporate thugs using their hostage-taking to push green energy
- Paul Gosar’s brother, Tim Gosar, appeared on Lawrence and completely slammed his character.
- Joy-Ann Reid agrees Quinnipiac Poll is incoherent and gives sound mitigating advice to Democrats
- The real danger of the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict is the consequences to these people.
- Nicolle Wallace slams Christie for his book giving Fox News a pass for lies & conspiracy theories.
- Did you just call the Democrats weenies: Donny Deutsch great advice to Democrats to win 2022
- POLL: AMERICA’s CONFUSED: Love Biden’s policies but would elect Republicans who would repeal them.
- Neoliberal economist Larry Summers supports sacrificing 4% of workers to stave off benign inflation.
- Inflation & Supply Chain problems are failures of private-sector profiteering, not the government
- Alexandria Ocasio Cortez destroys House Minority Leader McCarthy for defending Gosar
- Barbados PM Mia Mottley’s admonished rich countries at #COP26 on climate change but missed one fact.
- WOW! Republican Rep. destroys Trump: ENORMOUS POLITICAL LOSER who led us into a ditch, & much more!
- Response to a listener who said racism would go away if Progressives stopped talking about it!