Platitudes & delusion vs. Americans’ lived experiences. Professor Economist Richard Wolff schooled Whole Foods founder John Mackey on capitalism.
Economist Richard Wolff made the pretentious John Mackey seem like your typical snake oil salesperson as the professor countered and explained the capitalism doctrine.
Richard Wolff did not try to specifically articulate what a replacement system for capitalism as we know it would be called. That said he described the tenets of said system which when expressed is clearly more humane and democratic than our current economic model. The debate conducted by Intelligence Squared Debates. The winner of the debate is determined by who had the largest positive movement from the baseline. Dr. Wolff and his partner Jacobin’s Bhaskar Sunkara beat out John Mackey and Reason’s editor-in-chief Katherine Mangu-Ward.
Blog of the Week
Support Progressive Independent Media
Most Independent Progressive outlets continue to struggle to raise the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. Please subscribe even at the $1.99 or $4.99 level. Please consider supporting our GoFundMe here.
Analysis of Primetime MSNBC Programs Finds Sanders Received ‘Least’ and ‘Most Negative’ Coverage of Top 2020 Democrats
A comprehensive analysis of MSNBC’s primetime cable programs published Thursday by In These Times found that Sen. Bernie Sanders received the least frequent and most negative coverage of the top three candidates for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination over a recent two-month period.
Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), meanwhile, were covered more often and far more favorably by the purportedly liberal network.
The investigation, titled “MSNBC’s Bernie Blackout,” examined August and September coverage of Sanders, Biden, and Warren on six of the network’s major cable shows: The 11th Hour With Brian Williams, All In With Chris Hayes, The Beat With Ari Melber, Hardball With Chris Matthews, The Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell, and The Rachel Maddow Show.
“The coverage quickly revealed a pattern,” wrote journalist Branko Marcetic, the author of the new analysis. “Over the two months, these six programs focused on Biden, often to the exclusion of Warren and Sanders. Sanders received not only the least total coverage (less than one-third of Biden’s), but the most negative.”
The analysis, which is the cover story for In These Times magazine’s December issue, found:
- 64% of the 240 episodes examined discussed Biden, 43% discussed Warren, and 36% discussed Sanders;
- 25% of the episodes only discussed Biden, while just 5% mentioned only Warren and 1% mentioned only Sanders;
- Sanders had the highest percentage of negative mentions (20.7%) and the lowest percentage of positive mentions (12.9%);
- 87% of Sanders’ negative mentions came from Matthews’ Hardball and Williams’ 11th Hour;
- Warren had the lowest percentage of negative mentions (7.9%) and the highest percentage of positive mentions (30.6%);
- 11.3% percent of Biden’s mentions were negative.
“While pundits get paid to have opinions, MSNBC’s seem to dwell in an alternate reality,” wrote Marcetic. “As momentum mounts for longstanding liberal goals like single-payer healthcare and bold climate action, MSNBC’s coverage seems devoted, instead, to narrowing the liberal imagination.”
“MSNBC has close ties to a Democratic establishment that finds the politics of Biden (and even Warren) more palatable than Sanders’ ‘political revolution,'” Marcetic noted.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- CNN acknowledged Biden’s long success list. Is MSM finally bucking the Right-Wing narrative?
- Fox News THEN & NOW! Shouldn’t they want Trump locked up now as they wanted Clinton then?
- Why are oil execs no different from the common thugs released on bond?
- Watch Fox News Host Maria Bartiromo exploded when former Trumpist Alan Dershowitz defended Biden.
- Watch Beto O’Rourke slam an Abbott-supporting heckler
- My listener’s $880 glasses devolved into this necessary healthcare rant.
- My listener’s ‘Defund Capitalism’ statement elicited this response. What are your thoughts?
- TX Gov. Greg Abbott basks in his evil deeds as NYC Mayor Eric Adams shows compassion to his victims.
- Fox News panel explodes as panelist points out that crime is higher in the Red States than in the Blue States.
- CNN interview between Sens. Blumenthal & Graham a disaster for Democrats. He should’ve said this.
- The FBI is raiding Donald Trump’s home at Mar-o-Lago. The alleged Criminal In Chief may pay now!
- Reporter: The more Trump wins, the more Republicans are poised to lose!
- Dem strategist on winning: GOP giving gifts. Message Republican Party as wacko party & then …￼
- Kansas defied polls, voted in droves, and protected women’s rights. WOMEN WON!
- Former CNN Host Rick Sanchez: An empowering message of professional rebirth after an unfair firing.
- Fmr GOP strategist: Fist-bumping Senators after denying healthcare shows a moral collapse of the GOP
- Fmr. VP’s Chief of Staff shades Matt Gaetz for dissing Pence: He’ll be in prison by 2024.
- LIES EXPOSED ON VIDEO: Trump officials lie on Fox News about Jan 6 but truthful to Senate Committee
- Donny Deutsch: You got to scare the hell out of people about Republicans’ level of crazy & insanity.
- Larry Summers’ inflation & employment statement proves we have a defective & evil economic system.