As the GOP and Centrist Democrats fight to stall Medicare for All, plutocrats continue the exploitation of our taxes and hard-earned health care dollars.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
According to Axios, health care profits explode.
As Americans are suffering because of insurance they either don’t have or are unable to use because of prohibitively high deductibles, the health care industrial complex is awash in profits. Those profits were effectively extorted from Americans.
- Media gives Trump long presser allowing him to lie about accomplishments with no pushback.
- H.R.3 – Lower Drug Cost Now Act
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
The Medicare prescription drug plan House Speaker Nancy Pelosi introduced Thursday coincided with the release of an Axios analysis showing that the health care industry “continued to rake in record-level profits in the second quarter, with its year-over-year earnings increasing by 23%.” Not at all shockingly, Mitch McConnell wants big pharmaceuticals to keep every penny.
Pharmaceutical firms and hospitals are at the top of the heap, Axios says, in raking in the most money—and will aided by the Trump tax cuts. “Big Pharma remains the cash king,” says Axios. “Drug companies collected almost half of all health care profits despite generating less than 20% of industry revenue,” and comprise 12 of the 16 most profitable health care firms.
Given that, you’d think that finding a way to save the federal government—the taxpayers!—money by negotiating drug prices for Medicare would be a no-brainer for Congress, wouldn’t you? Not if you’re Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Within hours of Pelosi releasing the plan, Moscow Mitch pulled his “Grim Reaper” act again. He “ruled out any action on the bill,” Politico’s Burgess Everett reports, saying “Socialist price controls will do a lot of left-wing damage to the healthcare system. And of course we’re not going to be calling up a bill like that.” (Side note: Knowing McConnell would call whatever House Democrats put forward “socialist,” going for the full shebang and saying the 250 most common drugs would have to be negotiated instead of a minimum of 25 and up to 250 probably would have been worth it.)
So Moscow Mitch is PhRMA Mitch, too. Maximizing those drug profits, and making sure the poors and olds don’t get too many of those life-saving medicines, is the key. He might have a bit of a problem, though: Trump wants to get this done. “[T]he American people need Congress to help,” he tweeted (after taking credit for an imaginary decrease in prescription drug prices. “I like Sen. Grassley’s drug pricing bill very much, and it’s great to see Speaker Pelosi’s bill today. Let’s get it done in a bipartisan way!”
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Proposals to Ease Covid’s Blow on the Hardest Hit All but Ignored by Corporate Media
- Millennial torches Michael Steele on Trump: “I don’t miss normal” and all he could do is agree.
- Did seeing a knee on a neck reflected from their mirror so embarrassed Americans as to defeat Steve King?
- Facts do not need your agreement
- Let’s keep our eyes on the ball in these difficult times.
- Trump’s promotion of violence and totalitarianism is nothing new.
- Mainstream media correspondent fed up, calls out racism live
- MSNBC host shocked by stats: Black men’s death-by-cop greater than winning Scratch-Offs.
- These are protests. They want to frame it differently to maintain the antiseptic enslavement of us all. READ!
- Fox News slam does not stop Ali Velshi from calling out cops and context-appropriate reporting.