Regular PDR guest Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram met me at Netroots Nation 2019 in Philadelphia to discuss the state of Medicare for All and more.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram did not mince his words as we discussed Medicare for All at Netroots Nation 2019.
Dr. America knows Medicare for All better than most. He was on the podium with Bernie Sanders and Pramila Jayapal for the release of the new bill. He understands that the thugs in suits will be fighting ever so unethically to lie to and mislead Americans against their best interest to profit from their illnesses.
By now those of us attempting to enlighten Americans about Medicare for All understand the power of the forces we are up against. When the corporatocracy can have several Democrats sounding like Right Wing Republicans in their objection to Medicare for All it is clear they are not only bought but suffer from cowardice manifested as an immoral act. It is imperative that they pay for that at the most opportune time.
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
DailyKos: A court just had to tell Trump admin that, yes, detained migrant kids do need toothbrushes and soap
Remember when government attorney Sarah Fabian got famous for all the wrong reasons, thanks to a viral video of her arguing in court that detained migrant kids don’t really need bare necessities such as a toothbrush? That miserable argument thankfully got rejected, following a unanimous decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruling that, yes, these kids actually do require soap and sleeping mats.
“Assuring that children eat enough edible food, drink clean water, are housed in hygienic facilities with sanitary bathrooms, have soap and toothpaste, and are not sleep deprived are without doubt essential to the children’s safety,” wrote Judge Marsha Berzon. “It’s a major victory for children in federal immigration custody,” said Elora Mukherjee, an attorney who has the right to inspect immigration detention facilities as part of the Flores agreement.
A team of lawyers who inspected a Border Patrol facility near El Paso, Texas, in June found dozens of sick kids lacking access to water and food. Some jailed children had been forced to take care of other jailed children. Three girls said they were trying to watch over a 2-year-old boy “who had wet his pants and no diaper and was wearing a mucus-smeared shirt when the legal team encountered him.” “In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention,” said Holly Cooper of the University of California, Davis, Immigration Law Clinic, “I have never heard of this level of inhumanity.”
In the video, Fabian had said kids don’t really need any of this stuff because, “Well, I think, in C.B.P. custody, it’s frequently intended to be much shorter term. So it may be that for a shorter-term stay in C.B.P. custody that some of those things may not be required.” But kids at the El Paso facility told attorneys they’d gone weeks without being able to take a bath or even change their clothes. Weeks, when under the law, Border Patrol is not supposed to be detaining them longer than 72 hours.
“Berzon, William A. Fletcher and A. Wallace Tashima also upheld a requirement that government officials work to release detained children from custody as quickly as possible because of the detrimental impact that detention can have on their mental and physical health,” The New York Times reported. “The Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security did not respond to requests for comment on the decision.”
The court’s decision is no doubt a major victory, as Mukherjee noted, but at the same time we should all really think about the fact that we’ve sunk so far as a nation that a federal court had to tell the federal government that kids should be able to brush their teeth. As Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth tweeted yesterday, “A court needed to force them to let children bathe. Let that sink in.”
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- AOC defends Jamaal Bowman from fire alarm attack as she slams GOP hypocritical false equivalence
- Dem & GOP panelists agree GOP has no plans for average Americans as Trump mocks civil society.
- Rep. Mike Lawler on shutdown: ‘If you keep running lunatics, you are going to be in this position.’
- The Hunter Biden Impeachment story is DONE! AOC and Democrats made it a GOP embarrassment.
- Congress is failing families. Your budget informs us about your overall values.
- PDR Host Egberto Willies interviewed on The Devil’s Advocates Radio Show LIVE about engaging MAGA
- Jake Tapper ridicules Matt Gaetz: You’re “someone who is looking for clicks, likes, & Fox hits.”
- Former RNC Chair Michael Steele explains why the Republican debate was an embarrassing crap show.
- Miles Taylor on Trump supporters: We are living in a master class of silence and complicity
- Pete Buttigieg itemizes effects of a Republican shutdown but failed to point out media failure.
- Rep. Bowman knocks Sinema & Manchin for their complicity with Republicans to increase child poverty.
- MSNBC’s Joy-Ann Reid goes ballistic on mainstream media for the horrendous Biden vs. Trump coverage.
- Amanda Carpenter challenges General Milley’s statement in an article with a reality: Trump can win.
- Association of Flight Attendants Prez Sara Nelson nails the union message in Ali Velshi interview.
- Republican operative: McCarthy is dealing with people that are too stupid to be in Congress: More?
- Cori Bush schools GOP on oversight: Dings Trump: a white supremacist election overthrowing demagogue.
- Rep Ted Lieu forced GOP’s sham Garland judiciary hearing to highlight Trump as Jan 6 coup leader.
- EPIC WARNING: Fmr. GOP Operative Steve Schmidt excoriates McConnell & GOP and then …
- A contentious debate on men having no say in the control of a woman’s body, irrespective of baby-daddy.
- Fox News spins the GOP/Joe Manchin alliance that exploded child poverty as failed Biden policies.