Regular PDR guest Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram met me at Netroots Nation 2019 in Philadelphia to discuss the state of Medicare for All and more.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram did not mince his words as we discussed Medicare for All at Netroots Nation 2019.
Dr. America knows Medicare for All better than most. He was on the podium with Bernie Sanders and Pramila Jayapal for the release of the new bill. He understands that the thugs in suits will be fighting ever so unethically to lie to and mislead Americans against their best interest to profit from their illnesses.
By now those of us attempting to enlighten Americans about Medicare for All understand the power of the forces we are up against. When the corporatocracy can have several Democrats sounding like Right Wing Republicans in their objection to Medicare for All it is clear they are not only bought but suffer from cowardice manifested as an immoral act. It is imperative that they pay for that at the most opportune time.
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
DailyKos: A court just had to tell Trump admin that, yes, detained migrant kids do need toothbrushes and soap
Remember when government attorney Sarah Fabian got famous for all the wrong reasons, thanks to a viral video of her arguing in court that detained migrant kids don’t really need bare necessities such as a toothbrush? That miserable argument thankfully got rejected, following a unanimous decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruling that, yes, these kids actually do require soap and sleeping mats.
“Assuring that children eat enough edible food, drink clean water, are housed in hygienic facilities with sanitary bathrooms, have soap and toothpaste, and are not sleep deprived are without doubt essential to the children’s safety,” wrote Judge Marsha Berzon. “It’s a major victory for children in federal immigration custody,” said Elora Mukherjee, an attorney who has the right to inspect immigration detention facilities as part of the Flores agreement.
A team of lawyers who inspected a Border Patrol facility near El Paso, Texas, in June found dozens of sick kids lacking access to water and food. Some jailed children had been forced to take care of other jailed children. Three girls said they were trying to watch over a 2-year-old boy “who had wet his pants and no diaper and was wearing a mucus-smeared shirt when the legal team encountered him.” “In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention,” said Holly Cooper of the University of California, Davis, Immigration Law Clinic, “I have never heard of this level of inhumanity.”
In the video, Fabian had said kids don’t really need any of this stuff because, “Well, I think, in C.B.P. custody, it’s frequently intended to be much shorter term. So it may be that for a shorter-term stay in C.B.P. custody that some of those things may not be required.” But kids at the El Paso facility told attorneys they’d gone weeks without being able to take a bath or even change their clothes. Weeks, when under the law, Border Patrol is not supposed to be detaining them longer than 72 hours.
“Berzon, William A. Fletcher and A. Wallace Tashima also upheld a requirement that government officials work to release detained children from custody as quickly as possible because of the detrimental impact that detention can have on their mental and physical health,” The New York Times reported. “The Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security did not respond to requests for comment on the decision.”
The court’s decision is no doubt a major victory, as Mukherjee noted, but at the same time we should all really think about the fact that we’ve sunk so far as a nation that a federal court had to tell the federal government that kids should be able to brush their teeth. As Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth tweeted yesterday, “A court needed to force them to let children bathe. Let that sink in.”
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Sexist reporter mic-dropped by New Zealand PM at presser between two young female Prime Ministers
- SHAME! Executive & Congress may sacrifice rail workers to further enrich corporate America.
- Adam Kinzinger does not think Kevin McCarthy will last as Speaker of the House.
- We willfully submit ourselves to the new bondage, antiseptic slavery.
- A fed-up Arkansas Governor, Asa Hutchinson, throws Donald Trump under the bus.
- Watch Chuck Todd ding GOP Rep. James Comer with inconvenient facts as he bloviated about crime.
- These ‘STRONG MEN’ are at the heights of Republican hypocrisy amid their ongoing support for Trump.
- Philadelphia DA, Larry Krasner: Democrats have the answer to crime Republican policy fails
- Are you tired of being ripped off by Drug Companies? This is how we clip the wings of Big Pharma.
- Former Conservative Republican Steve Schmidt gets real about America, a necessary move to live up to our rhetoric.
- These exemplary women’s wins prove grassroots can beat money if there is democracy.
- Chuck Todd’s interview will haunt Mike Pence: Constitutional Rights for the unborn & forced births
- Host to Justice Thomas on marriage laws from the bench: There’re better ways to divorce your wife (FUNNY)
- Progressives are vilified as extreme. I am proud to be extreme.
- Billionaires are PARASITES: My caller disagreed with my characterization & then agreed at the end.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will not seek leadership in the next Congress
- Philanthropy by the mega-rich is anti-democratic. $100 million donation from Jeff Bezos explains it.
- WOW! Reporter takes down losing MAGA AZ Gov. Candidate Kari Lake with a striking barrage
- EGGS ON HIS FACE! Democratic pundit Karen Finney’s analysis was genius as the smug one looks silly.
- Democratic & GOP pundits & Congressman school Republicans on reasons the Democrats won big.