Regular PDR guest Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram met me at Netroots Nation 2019 in Philadelphia to discuss the state of Medicare for All and more.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Dr. America, Sanjeev K. Sriram did not mince his words as we discussed Medicare for All at Netroots Nation 2019.
Dr. America knows Medicare for All better than most. He was on the podium with Bernie Sanders and Pramila Jayapal for the release of the new bill. He understands that the thugs in suits will be fighting ever so unethically to lie to and mislead Americans against their best interest to profit from their illnesses.
By now those of us attempting to enlighten Americans about Medicare for All understand the power of the forces we are up against. When the corporatocracy can have several Democrats sounding like Right Wing Republicans in their objection to Medicare for All it is clear they are not only bought but suffer from cowardice manifested as an immoral act. It is imperative that they pay for that at the most opportune time.
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
DailyKos: A court just had to tell Trump admin that, yes, detained migrant kids do need toothbrushes and soap
Remember when government attorney Sarah Fabian got famous for all the wrong reasons, thanks to a viral video of her arguing in court that detained migrant kids don’t really need bare necessities such as a toothbrush? That miserable argument thankfully got rejected, following a unanimous decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruling that, yes, these kids actually do require soap and sleeping mats.
“Assuring that children eat enough edible food, drink clean water, are housed in hygienic facilities with sanitary bathrooms, have soap and toothpaste, and are not sleep deprived are without doubt essential to the children’s safety,” wrote Judge Marsha Berzon. “It’s a major victory for children in federal immigration custody,” said Elora Mukherjee, an attorney who has the right to inspect immigration detention facilities as part of the Flores agreement.
A team of lawyers who inspected a Border Patrol facility near El Paso, Texas, in June found dozens of sick kids lacking access to water and food. Some jailed children had been forced to take care of other jailed children. Three girls said they were trying to watch over a 2-year-old boy “who had wet his pants and no diaper and was wearing a mucus-smeared shirt when the legal team encountered him.” “In my 22 years of doing visits with children in detention,” said Holly Cooper of the University of California, Davis, Immigration Law Clinic, “I have never heard of this level of inhumanity.”
In the video, Fabian had said kids don’t really need any of this stuff because, “Well, I think, in C.B.P. custody, it’s frequently intended to be much shorter term. So it may be that for a shorter-term stay in C.B.P. custody that some of those things may not be required.” But kids at the El Paso facility told attorneys they’d gone weeks without being able to take a bath or even change their clothes. Weeks, when under the law, Border Patrol is not supposed to be detaining them longer than 72 hours.
“Berzon, William A. Fletcher and A. Wallace Tashima also upheld a requirement that government officials work to release detained children from custody as quickly as possible because of the detrimental impact that detention can have on their mental and physical health,” The New York Times reported. “The Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security did not respond to requests for comment on the decision.”
The court’s decision is no doubt a major victory, as Mukherjee noted, but at the same time we should all really think about the fact that we’ve sunk so far as a nation that a federal court had to tell the federal government that kids should be able to brush their teeth. As Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth tweeted yesterday, “A court needed to force them to let children bathe. Let that sink in.”
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Epic! MSNBC’s Tiffany Cross decimates Republican on what the GOP stands for.
- Congresswoman’s interview makes clear we cannot forget insurrection nor allow guilty to go free
- Names of the Capitol alleged insurrectionaries with complaints or indictments.
- The words Biden’s Inauguration Poet Amanda Gorman used in Lester Holt interview even more insightful
- Texas Activists carrying symbolic coffins marched at the home of Ted Cruz demanding his resignation.
- Watch President Biden tells his staff that he will fire them on the spot for Trump-like behavior!
- The Capitol Assault—Roots and Solutions
- Chuck Todd to false equivalency Republican, Only one side that tried to overthrow the Capitol.
- McConnell throws Trump, Ted Cruz, & Josh Hawley under the bus on the seditious insurrection.
- Camo or no, traitors clearly visible
- Katy Tur panel explains how the Republican Party became a cult.
- Why good people do evil things with a clear conscience? Abstraction explained.
- Karen Finney: “This is who we are.” But her message to both Democrats & the GOP was more profound.
- Southern Populism and the Secret History of Segregation
- Insurrection on Capitol: Funeral for White Supremacy. These people are the barnacles on the future.
- Rep. Clyburn calls them out as a hate group and reveals an American unfortunate truth.
- Rep. Jim Clyburn admonished Republicans. Tell the truth about the election. Stop hurting the country.
- Why Jan 6th attempted coup on the US should give legs to #DefundThePolice
- Are hunters really the biggest conservationists in America?
- What are ski resorts, gear makers, and professional skiers and snowboarders doing to fight global warming?