Today: Producer of basic income experiment, Color of Change Rashad Robinson challenges corporations and Medicare for All activists make their case.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
We have three interviews covering the important topics including Medicare for All.
Netroots Nation 2019 was the largest one ever. It seemed like activist and politicians covering every topic were present. And I had the honor of interviewing 48 of them. In the weeks subsequent to the conference, I am airing them as part of our daily broadcast. Too many of these subjects get scant coverage as the cable news and broadcast news stay in one solid repeating loop. Today we discuss basic income, Medicare for All and challenging corporations.
- Rashad Robinson of Color of Change talked about challenging corporations to ensure they do right by all Americans. He made it clear their freedom comes from not taking corporate money.
- Conrad Shaw discusses Universal Basic Income. He is the producer of the documentary Bootstraps that is documenting several families receiving the subsidy.
- We interview two representatives from National Nurses United (NNU) who discussed Medicare for All in detail.
Independent Progressive media need support from Progressives
Free Speech TV, Pacifica Network, and most Independent Progressive outlets are way behind in raising the funds they need to operate much like the smaller outlets like Politics Done Right. We will discuss why and solutions. That said, please support our GoFundMe here.
DailyKos: The New York Times mourns the tea party, but the tea party it’s remembering never existed
On Wednesday, The New York Times released an article that correctly noted that the tea party movement within the Republican Party was a new birth of angry, uncontrolled aggression in American politics. It marked a sudden, sharp increase in the violence of political rhetoric, including introducing gun-toting mobs into town halls and screaming masses that seemed to pop up by chance in city parks.
The Times article notes that Republicans have thrown away all the themes that supposedly animated that movement. Except that they haven’t. Because what the article reflects is a cleaned-up version of the tea party. The “concerned citizens angry about the deficit” version of the tea party. The semi-libertarian no-longer-silent mass that was concerned about the government “picking winners and losers.” That tea party is absolutely gone, because that tea party never existed.
That idea of the tea party was always a fiction—and not a polite fiction. It was the way the movement was sold not just in the pages of the Times, but on networks from CNN to Fox. But the reason that the Republican Party no longer hews to a deficit-shy, market-trusting, independent movement is because the tea party was never, ever, not for a moment anything close to that. It was a far-right movement, shaped and directed by talk radio, funded by Republican sources, and weaponized over a single issue—racism.
The closest that the Times article comes to admitting the truth about the movement is when it mentions a bumper sticker that says, “Honk if I’m Paying Your Mortgage.” That concern was generated by CNBC reporter Rick Santelli, who screamed about the need for a “new Tea Party” while on the floor of the mercantile exchange. And his chest-thumping was directly centered on the idea that homeowners shouldn’t be “bailed out” of mortgages in a collapsing housing market. The Times article is correct when it says the concern was about “certain homeowners”; what it doesn’t say is what a thousand talk radio hosts were saying at the time: They were talking about black homeowners.
Tut-tutting over the lack of fiscal concern in the current Republican Party for spending on Trump’s wall, or billionaire tax cuts, or a thousand pointless military purchases isn’t mourning something past. It’s remembering a PR campaign. One that was funded by the Koch brothers, oil companies, the NRA, and the Wall Street forces that actually sank the economy.
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Black MSNBC Correspondent all but loses it rightfully on air with the truth America must hear
- George Floyd Live Updates: Officer Chauvin Is in Custody – The New York Times
- Ali Velshi gives a clinic in how to best report on Minneapolis protests. He gets it!
- Nancy Pelosi stopped Andrea Mitchell cold from interviewing her on Trump’s terms & gave her own message.
- Baseless blather by full diaper-rash-mode baby Trump on voting by mail
- The majority of church history has been a complete rejection of Christ.
- Tacho Medellin: Just Another Kill For The LE Trophy Case
- NY. Gov. Cuomo scolds McConnell & Scott eloquently pointing out their states were takers
- US Media Failed to Factcheck Sweden’s Herd Immunity Hoax
- Obama economist: Trump economic indicators could soar just before the 2020 election