Professor and author Ian Reifowitz discusses his new book “The Tribalization of Politics: How Rush Limbaugh’s race-baiting rhetoric on the Obama presidency paved the way for Trump.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Rush Limbaugh is a cancer of our politics
American politics is in disarray. One of the reasons for that is the caustic nature of our dialogue driven by insincere ideologues like Rush Limbaugh. Professor and Author Ian Reifowitz deconstruct how Rush Limbaugh and others’ corrosive discourse and false narratives were instrumental in the election of Donald Trump.
Immediately after impeaching the president, change the narrative to policies for the poor and middle-class irrespective of the media obsession. Democratic candidates must just tacitly refer to the impeachment in terms of a president under a cloud and then move on to Medicare for All and other poor and middle-class centric policies. But the most powerful messenger is you. Let’s beat them all.
- It is time to start impeachment proceedings immediately.
- TheHill: Hickenlooper booed in San Francisco for denouncing socialism
- WaPo: Trump urges customers to drop AT&T to punish CNN over its coverage of him
- CNN: John Delaney booed by California Democrats after criticizing ‘Medicare for All’ “Medicare for All may sound good.
CommonDreams: Citing Fears of Americans Getting ‘Screwed,’ Progressive Democrats Call Out Pelosi for Crafting Pharma-Friendly Drug Pricing Bill in Secret
Amid concerns that the House Democratic leadership is crafting a drug pricing bill that is far too friendly to the pharmaceutical industry, progressives in Congress this week publicly called out House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for writing the legislation in secret and ignoring those who favor a more aggressive approach to lowering out-of-control prescription drug costs.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) was among the progressive Democrats who spoke out Wednesday, telling reporters that the House Democratic leadership has left “most members” completely in the dark on the details of the prescription drug bill.
“That’s a problem and it’s part of a pattern, I think, where we don’t know things until 48 hours before,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And then it’s like, ‘You’re either with us or you’re against us.'”
As Common Dreams reported last month, progressives raised alarm after Pelosi informed Democrats behind closed doors that she is throwing her weight behind a plan that would require the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to negotiate the prices of at least 25 drugs each year.
The legislation, according to HuffPost, would do nothing to challenge the monopoly power of pharmaceutical companies.
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Former Republican Rep: GOP operates politically with a functional level of ignorance
- “Let Them Eat Cake!” | The Lincoln Project
- We Can Do Better | The Lincoln Project
- Pelosi schools reporter: You mistook GOP for somebody who gave a damn
- HuffPost reporter shocks Trump: Do you regret all of your lies?
- Protests, Violence, Law & Order. What is the real deal?
- Activist Voices Missing From Corporate Coverage of Uprisings
- ACTION ALERT: Newsweek Should Disavow Racist Insinuation That Kamala Harris Is Not a Citizen
- Pelosi to MSNBC Host: Kamala Harris more than a token woman of color
- The squad isn’t just “surviving,” they’re thriving and growing