Professor and author Ian Reifowitz discusses his new book “The Tribalization of Politics: How Rush Limbaugh’s race-baiting rhetoric on the Obama presidency paved the way for Trump.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Rush Limbaugh is a cancer of our politics
American politics is in disarray. One of the reasons for that is the caustic nature of our dialogue driven by insincere ideologues like Rush Limbaugh. Professor and Author Ian Reifowitz deconstruct how Rush Limbaugh and others’ corrosive discourse and false narratives were instrumental in the election of Donald Trump.
Immediately after impeaching the president, change the narrative to policies for the poor and middle-class irrespective of the media obsession. Democratic candidates must just tacitly refer to the impeachment in terms of a president under a cloud and then move on to Medicare for All and other poor and middle-class centric policies. But the most powerful messenger is you. Let’s beat them all.
- It is time to start impeachment proceedings immediately.
- TheHill: Hickenlooper booed in San Francisco for denouncing socialism
- WaPo: Trump urges customers to drop AT&T to punish CNN over its coverage of him
- CNN: John Delaney booed by California Democrats after criticizing ‘Medicare for All’ “Medicare for All may sound good.
CommonDreams: Citing Fears of Americans Getting ‘Screwed,’ Progressive Democrats Call Out Pelosi for Crafting Pharma-Friendly Drug Pricing Bill in Secret
Amid concerns that the House Democratic leadership is crafting a drug pricing bill that is far too friendly to the pharmaceutical industry, progressives in Congress this week publicly called out House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for writing the legislation in secret and ignoring those who favor a more aggressive approach to lowering out-of-control prescription drug costs.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) was among the progressive Democrats who spoke out Wednesday, telling reporters that the House Democratic leadership has left “most members” completely in the dark on the details of the prescription drug bill.
“That’s a problem and it’s part of a pattern, I think, where we don’t know things until 48 hours before,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And then it’s like, ‘You’re either with us or you’re against us.'”
As Common Dreams reported last month, progressives raised alarm after Pelosi informed Democrats behind closed doors that she is throwing her weight behind a plan that would require the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to negotiate the prices of at least 25 drugs each year.
The legislation, according to HuffPost, would do nothing to challenge the monopoly power of pharmaceutical companies.
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Major doctor’s organization comes out in full support of Medicare for All.
- Our economic system, a new antiseptic form of slavery.
- Texas TV station: Trump & GOP liars on Preexisting Conditions. Surprising!
- Chuck Todd insults The Intercept & Progressives with backhanded slight.
- Chuck Todd to GOP hack: Congress is part of the government too!
- Sander’s Team: “Facts are clear” on Biden talk on cutting Social Security
- Standing around oblivious to flames
- Supporter can’t think of anything Trump has done well
- Why are environmentalists scare of Trump winning in 2020?
- Medicare For All: It’s about empathy, math, and morality