Ian Reifowitz, a Daily KOS contributor, wrote likely the most comprehensive critique of Ilhan Omar. He was complete yet not negative like most. He will explain why he thinks her statements were antisemitic. Then we talk about the Democratic Primary.
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
Recently I read an article by my friend and Daily Kos contributing editor colleague Ian Reifowitz about Ilhan Omar. It was likely the best-written essay on the issue. He was not malicious or attacking but seeking common ground while giving everyone their due, the space for the benefit of the doubt.
I asked him to come on the show because even as I am not completely convinced, I am sufficiently empathetic that I will temper my words to ensure that they are not misrepresented or that I do not inadvertently offend.
Ian Reifowitz is a Professor of Historical Studies at S.U.N.Y. Empire State College and the A\author of The Tribalization of Politics: How Rush Limbaugh’s Race-Baiting Rhetoric on the Obama Presidency Paved the Way for Trump (forthcoming in May 2019); and Obama’s America: A Transformative Vision of Our National Identity.
Our second segment will discuss the Democratic race and more.
CBSNews: George W. Bush urges politicians to “dial down
rhetoric” on immigration. Former President George W. Bush, a vocal supporter of comprehensive immigration reform, urged lawmakers in Washington to support “just” and “fair” bipartisan policies to overhaul the nation’s immigration system and bolster border security, saying immigration is a “blessing” and “strength” for the U.S. “Amid all the complications of policy, may we never forget that immigration is a blessing and a strength,” the former Republican president said during a naturalization ceremony for a group of new U.S. citizens on Monday. “I hope those responsible in Washington can dial down the rhetoric, put politics aside and modernize our immigration laws soon,” he added later in the event, held in his institute in Dallas. Although he acknowledged the government’s need to enforce the nation’s immigration laws and secure its borders, the 43rd president’s remarks — filled with praise for the U.S. immigrant community and the contributions of different waves of newcomers to the country’s prosperity — represented a departure from rhetoric of some Republicans currently in office, including President Trump.
Blog of the Week
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Charlamagne tha God: Trump’s more sincere about his lies than Biden about his truths.
- Fmr. GOP Rep Charlie Dent: Useful idiot is too gentle a word for Donald Trump on Russia.
- Chuck Todd: Biden must re-educate the public. Why Trump’s presidency was unimpressive and a failure.
- Morning Joe destroys Trump: He diverts out of fear his mental acuity will become the subject.
- Hon. Arthur F. Engoron Decision on Donald Trump. He is fined over $360 Million.
- Are people typically taking into account climate risks when they shop for a new home?
- What are the climate benefits of switching over to a four-day workweek?
- Can you explain the concepts of additionality, permanence and leakage with regard to carbon offsets?
- Has the cruise industry cleaned up its act regarding its environmental footprint in recent years?
- CNN’s Jake Tapper, one of few journalists, clarified it’s Trump with the mental & character flaws.
- Dr. Cornel West’s speech at a Muslim Community fundraising event in Sugar Land, TX.
- Bernie Sanders exposes Big Pharma Execs for the parasitic thugs they are as they extort Americans.
- BILLIONAIRES DID NOT EARN IT! Dispelled that fallacy to a caller who believed that they earned it.
- Explained why the private sector in healthcare and jails keeps us sick and incarcerated to a caller.
- *REALITY CHECK* By all measures, Biden’s economy blows away Trump’s economy by all measures.
- What is “Philanthro-activism” and who leads this movement?
- What is so-called New Denialism all about?
- Greg Abbott and Republicans are running an immigration scam we are all paying for.
- MUST WATCH: Nikki Haley completely destroyed Trump in her interview on The Breakfast Club.
- UAW President Shawn Fain slams Trump as he nails the winning working-class message to perfection