Rarely do we ask Conservatives or Moderates to placate their language or writings to appease Progressives. Why then is such a concern to dilute the Progressive message to appease them?
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here
I believe wholeheartedly in inclusivity, truthful speech, ‘civil’ speech, and engagement with those on all sides of the political spectrum. Unfortunately, there are those who want Progressives to coddle every Conservative or Moderate instead of honest dialoguing. This expectation is dangerous for several reasons.
I received very upsetting emails from two friends in a particular organization today who would want Progressives to temper their speech because it makes some uncomfortable. This discomfort they say detracts from the ability to bring these people into the fold. The question is; if one must tell less than the truth to bring some into the fold, what good is having them in the first place?
I immediately remembered a quote from Martin Luther King as he spent some time in a Birmingham jail. The issue is much more profound today. Replace the words “white moderate” with “some Progressives.” I will discuss MLK’s letter
As I sat in Starbucks, my good friend Dr. John Theis, Professor of Government and Director of Lone Star College’s Center of Civic Engagement, walked in to grade some final exams. I told him I was writing an article for the DailyKos triggered by an email I receive from a friend. After I told him I would include Martin Luther King’s quote he provided another one for balance to illustrate that while one must be civil, there are virtues that one must not cross. He gave me a Barry Goldwater quote that I will also reference in the Blog of the Week which is going to be Sunday’
There is much happening. If we continue to appease solely the sensibility of of those who refuse to look at reality objectively we are doing a disservice to the country. Protecting said sensibilities is tantamount to disregarding a large percentage of the population.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Sole concern about business doesn’t make you a capitalist. It makes you a sociopath.
- Frank Schaeffer unmasks Evangelical con artists. Evangelicals are you listening?
- NO! Warren, Bernie, and Democrats are not YOUR Communists.
- Amazon, another corporation whose evil shows why “we the people” must enact Medicare for All & more.
- Castro’s “cheap shot?” Biden’s racist scoff at black panelist disqualifying.
- Patricia Esteves has a project attempting to unite the country as one.
- Nina Turner, co-chair of the Bernie Sanders campaign makes the case for Bernie
- Elizabeth Warren & Bernie Sanders: Use the debate to educate & persuade Americans directly.
- Employer-provided healthcare or lack thereof a better deal than when workers were slaves
- Immigrant realizes that slaves had something most Americans want