Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez discuss why Latinos do not vote in their comparable numbers and how that will change in 2018
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
The election is just over two months away. The passion in the country is with Progressives. The question is whether they will perform commensurate with the passion they’ve been displaying since the election of the country’s first unapologetic racist xenophobic misogynist homophobic sexist president. A very important component of that Progressive space is the Latino vote. Will, that vote make its presence felt?
In the studio, today is Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez.
Lorena Perez McGill is a dynamic lawyer, professor, wife, and mother with decades of experience bringing people together to help those who need help the most. She believes it is time to stop fighting in Austin and start fixing the actual day-to-day problems facing Texans. She believes that our democracy serves citizens best when voters have a choice at the polls, and checks and balances in place at the Capitol. Lorena wants to advocate for District 15 residents and make our state a better place for ALL Texans by focusing on real business and infrastructure challenges, improving opportunities in schools and working with immigrant communities on common-sense reforms. Lorena holds a Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. and a J.D. equivalent from Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra in Santiago, Dominican Republic. She is currently an adjunct professor at University of Houston Law Center and has previously been on faculty at Georgetown University Law Center.
Jesse Ybanez is retired the but is he? He is a political activist who is not only busy with his granddaughters but finds the time to do a whole lot of volunteer work. He is a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee (SDEC), Senate District 7 Section Leader, a Precinct Chair, and Election Judge. And if that is not enough, he assists in citizen’s workshops. Is there anything politically this supposedly retired man isn’t doing?
We will have some answers and marching orders today.
Before I get to the program, I want to remind all our listeners that KPFT is a bastion of intelligent voices and programs. As a political activist, my favorites are
- ThinkWing Radio with Mike Honig on Mondays at 2:00 PM
- Open Journal with Duane Bradley & crew, on Mondays at 6:00 PM
- Jazz Latino, Afro-Cuban Latin Jazz at its very best hosted by Juan Flores on Tuesdays at 12:00 Noon
- GenerAsian Radio, A weekly radio program featuring an eclectic mix of Asian Underground, Bhangra, Bollywood Funk, Hindi,Rai–where ancient sounds meet future beats! Thursday 12-2 PM
- Really But Not Really, a hip-hop and RnB parody show on Thursdays at 10 PM by Rosemount.
Check out our full schedule at kpft.org where you can find programming from music to politics, to medicine, to the eclectic. KPFT is listener supported public community radio station. So please remember that if you like what you hear, visit kpft.org and ensure we remain a strong, viable community radio station that provides news, programming, and information not influenced by the corporatocracy.
Folks do remember this is a call-in show. Call me at (713) 526-5738.
But let’s get to the Blog of the Week.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron now.
My Blog Posts Of The Week
- CBS’ The Activist pitting activists against each other begging for funds show this system’s cancer.
- Republicans are begging us to kill the filibuster. This is why we better listen.
- Jen Psaki skewers Peter Doocy over question: You think pregnant women are posing a big threat?
- 24-yr-old regrets following anti-vax nuts & advise all to get vaccinated. He is now dead!
- A graphic example of the unvaccinated causing the deaths of others indiscriminately.
- Here’s what you should know about the treatment of Haitian refugees on the border. Shocking!
- Journalist exposes lies & throws shade on MAGA protest: I did not hear anything rooted in reality.
- Indigenous activist: MAGA ralliers are just crash test dummies. Their politicians are the danger.
- Democrats, strategists: Listen to this organizer about leaning into our causes & values
- TX Rep. Jasmine Crockett identifies the most dangerous. It’s not the insurrectionists she fears.
- Jake Tapper completely destroys Mississippi Gov: With all due respect Governor, your way’s failing.
- Tiffany Cross schools ‘persecuted’ MAGA Treason Rally. We survived this act before & will again!
- Way to go, Biden. Many called him a neoliberal, but more progressive stuff seems to be coming out
- My thoughts on the 10-year anniversary of the Occupy Movement (Occupy Wall Street)
- Psaki lit into Fox News-like reporter. Florida won’t get larger share of antibodies. Get vaccinated
- Jen Psaki calls out Republican politicians attacking General Milley as insurrectionists.
- Hawaii Lt. Governor admonishes Red State Governors: You are killing your constituents.
- Rep. Connolly slammed ‘You Lie’ South Carolina Congressman then schooled Republicans on Afghanistan.
- This sentiment by Michael Moore on Joe Biden is one I hope more Progressives share
- Bernie Sanders to Joe Manchin on infrastructure: Two bills go together. We’re going to pass them both.