Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez discuss why Latinos do not vote in their comparable numbers and how that will change in 2018
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
The election is just over two months away. The passion in the country is with Progressives. The question is whether they will perform commensurate with the passion they’ve been displaying since the election of the country’s first unapologetic racist xenophobic misogynist homophobic sexist president. A very important component of that Progressive space is the Latino vote. Will, that vote make its presence felt?
In the studio, today is Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez.
Lorena Perez McGill is a dynamic lawyer, professor, wife, and mother with decades of experience bringing people together to help those who need help the most. She believes it is time to stop fighting in Austin and start fixing the actual day-to-day problems facing Texans. She believes that our democracy serves citizens best when voters have a choice at the polls, and checks and balances in place at the Capitol. Lorena wants to advocate for District 15 residents and make our state a better place for ALL Texans by focusing on real business and infrastructure challenges, improving opportunities in schools and working with immigrant communities on common-sense reforms. Lorena holds a Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. and a J.D. equivalent from Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra in Santiago, Dominican Republic. She is currently an adjunct professor at University of Houston Law Center and has previously been on faculty at Georgetown University Law Center.
Jesse Ybanez is retired the but is he? He is a political activist who is not only busy with his granddaughters but finds the time to do a whole lot of volunteer work. He is a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee (SDEC), Senate District 7 Section Leader, a Precinct Chair, and Election Judge. And if that is not enough, he assists in citizen’s workshops. Is there anything politically this supposedly retired man isn’t doing?
We will have some answers and marching orders today.
Before I get to the program, I want to remind all our listeners that KPFT is a bastion of intelligent voices and programs. As a political activist, my favorites are
- ThinkWing Radio with Mike Honig on Mondays at 2:00 PM
- Open Journal with Duane Bradley & crew, on Mondays at 6:00 PM
- Jazz Latino, Afro-Cuban Latin Jazz at its very best hosted by Juan Flores on Tuesdays at 12:00 Noon
- GenerAsian Radio, A weekly radio program featuring an eclectic mix of Asian Underground, Bhangra, Bollywood Funk, Hindi,Rai–where ancient sounds meet future beats! Thursday 12-2 PM
- Really But Not Really, a hip-hop and RnB parody show on Thursdays at 10 PM by Rosemount.
Check out our full schedule at kpft.org where you can find programming from music to politics, to medicine, to the eclectic. KPFT is listener supported public community radio station. So please remember that if you like what you hear, visit kpft.org and ensure we remain a strong, viable community radio station that provides news, programming, and information not influenced by the corporatocracy.
Folks do remember this is a call-in show. Call me at (713) 526-5738.
But let’s get to the Blog of the Week.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron now.
My Blog Posts Of The Week
- Houston Needs a Progressive Candidate for Mayor
- Went toe to toe a selfish millionaire who believes he is more worthy that workers
- Princeton Professor Eddie Glaude, Jr. points out the real problem with capitalism
- Paris Texas Liberal pastor’s Open Letter dares County Republicans ‘MAGA’
- Dictator Trump
- Elizabeth Warren must be defended like this by all Progressive bloggers
- Why Our World Seems Out of Control
- Why do Conservatives support politicians who put corporate profit over humanity?
- Moralizing Pastor’s Second Baptist Church hired pastor who preyed on teens
- If Americans were greedy, millionaire & billionaire plutocrats wouldn’t stand a chance
Coffee Party Radio Shows
- Sundays 8:30 AM ET – I take Liberty with my Coffee w/ Bobby Rodrigo (Subscribe iTunes)
- Thursdays 3:00 PM ET – Lunch with Louden w/ J’nene Louden (Subscribe iTunes)
- Saturdays 1:00 PM ET – Politics Done Right w/ Egberto Willies (Subscribe iTunes)