There probably is 95% agreement on issues with Progressive activists `yet improper infighting can derail sure victories
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
This week I cross-blogged a piece by my friend and fellow activist Eleanor Goldfield, publisher of “Art Killing Apathy” and host of “Act Out!” I made the piece the blog of the week. It is time for the Progressive activists to stop the type of infighting that loses elections and policy debates.
From the Newsfeed
CBSNews: The owner of a Chick-fil-A location in Sacramento, California, calls it a “living wage.” In Eric Mason’s view, that would be $17 or $18 an hour, which is what he vows he’ll be paying his workers, starting Monday, June 4. The rate represents a sizable increase for employees now making $12 to $13 an hour. “As the owner, I’m looking at it big-picture and long-term,” Mason told a local news station. “What that does for the business is provide consistency, someone that has relationships with our guests, and it’s going to be building a long-term culture.” The idea, Mason said, is to hire workers — he prefers “hospitality professionals” — who will stick around, a worthwhile goal for a brand known for its customer service that’s in an industry that had a 73 percent turnover rate in 2016, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. “What we are going to be looking for is people trying to raise families,” Mason said. “Maybe they can work just one job.”
Al Jazeera: Flags and banners fluttered above a steady stream of protesters, who chanted anti-austerity slogans as they marched through the streets of the Greek capital. On Wednesday, thousands of Greek workers, union members, migrant labourers, students, pensioners and unemployed people flooded Athen’s city centre to hold a general strike against the government’s ongoing austerity regime. Organised by labour unions, the 24-hour nationwide strike paralysed public transportation in much of the country, disrupted flight schedules and prevented many ships from setting sail. Subways and metros were halted, and several flights were grounded. Shops, restaurants, offices and schools were shuttered throughout the capital, and public services were paused for the day. Nikos Papageorgiou, a member of the communist-linked PAME union’s executive committee, stood in front of a massive crowd of striking union members in Omonia Square. “This is our ninth year of crisis, and the general picture for the working class in Greece is terrible, with high unemployment and low wages,” he told Al Jazeera. Behind him, hundreds of PAME flags trembled above the protesting workers. “Our demands aren’t just higher salaries but basic human rights for workers,” Papageorgiou added.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Are hunters really the biggest conservationists in America?
- What are ski resorts, gear makers, and professional skiers and snowboarders doing to fight global warming?
- Was there an environmentally positive impact from the coronavirus
- David Atwood: My thoughts about the underlying factors leading to January 6.
- The Equality Myth and Personal Respectability Myths
- Thomas Friedman’s recipe for Democrats would be fatal. He does not get it.
- Crooked pastor sentenced to 6yrs in prison. What about the other megachurch crooks?
- Stephanie Ruhle: Her story just made me think about privilege. Sad reality/truth.
- Some companies have funded sedition. So explains CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin on donation stoppage.
- Irresponsible Republican Politicians refuse masks when in lockdown, likely infecting colleagues.
- Katy Tur corners John Bolton: The lies & insurrection are not just Trump but Ted Cruz & others.
- Senator Tester makes it clear he could support Ted Cruz & Josh Hawley’s expulsion from Senate.
- 60 Minutes Republican-appeasing Leslie Stahl creates false equivalence in Nancy Pelosi interview
- Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, & the Sedition Cau; Bomb-throwers from the start.
- Message to Democrats: Help people fast. Advice to Joe Manchin (D-WV), stand down.
- Joe Manchin will do well to support the $2000 stimulus/relief as written lest his daughter’s EpiPen pilfer elevated
- A candid conversation with a white friend who discusses her racial prejudice
- Tiffany Cross nails it: Their American dream was our nightmare. This is as American as apple pie.
- Plouffe on Georgia: Epic political malpractice by Trump & confederacy of dunces cost senate loss.
- Man Photographed At Desk In Nancy Pelosi’s Office Is Arrested : Insurrection At The Capitol: Live Updates : NPR