There probably is 95% agreement on issues with Progressive activists `yet improper infighting can derail sure victories
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
This week I cross-blogged a piece by my friend and fellow activist Eleanor Goldfield, publisher of “Art Killing Apathy” and host of “Act Out!” I made the piece the blog of the week. It is time for the Progressive activists to stop the type of infighting that loses elections and policy debates.
From the Newsfeed
CBSNews: The owner of a Chick-fil-A location in Sacramento, California, calls it a “living wage.” In Eric Mason’s view, that would be $17 or $18 an hour, which is what he vows he’ll be paying his workers, starting Monday, June 4. The rate represents a sizable increase for employees now making $12 to $13 an hour. “As the owner, I’m looking at it big-picture and long-term,” Mason told a local news station. “What that does for the business is provide consistency, someone that has relationships with our guests, and it’s going to be building a long-term culture.” The idea, Mason said, is to hire workers — he prefers “hospitality professionals” — who will stick around, a worthwhile goal for a brand known for its customer service that’s in an industry that had a 73 percent turnover rate in 2016, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. “What we are going to be looking for is people trying to raise families,” Mason said. “Maybe they can work just one job.”
Al Jazeera: Flags and banners fluttered above a steady stream of protesters, who chanted anti-austerity slogans as they marched through the streets of the Greek capital. On Wednesday, thousands of Greek workers, union members, migrant labourers, students, pensioners and unemployed people flooded Athen’s city centre to hold a general strike against the government’s ongoing austerity regime. Organised by labour unions, the 24-hour nationwide strike paralysed public transportation in much of the country, disrupted flight schedules and prevented many ships from setting sail. Subways and metros were halted, and several flights were grounded. Shops, restaurants, offices and schools were shuttered throughout the capital, and public services were paused for the day. Nikos Papageorgiou, a member of the communist-linked PAME union’s executive committee, stood in front of a massive crowd of striking union members in Omonia Square. “This is our ninth year of crisis, and the general picture for the working class in Greece is terrible, with high unemployment and low wages,” he told Al Jazeera. Behind him, hundreds of PAME flags trembled above the protesting workers. “Our demands aren’t just higher salaries but basic human rights for workers,” Papageorgiou added.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron.
Read My Current Blog Posts
- Democratic politicians better listen to this activist. It’s time for her winning message.
- Here’s a short-term Roe v. Wade overturn solution. Democrats must stop being spineless in the fight!
- Exposed oil scam the corporate oil cartel will hate: Politics Done Right on Muslim Network TV
- Liz Cheney gets real with Right-Wing Trump sycophants President Trump abused your trust
- An activist patriarchal Supreme Court overturned women’s Rights to their own bodies.
- Dems: Stop blaming Latinos for Democratic losses. Reassess before it’s too late.
- LIVE: Documentary Series No Address Atlanta screening and Q&A session
- The wealthy shareholders and investors don’t care about you! Why I checked this listener.
- Stephanie Ruhle implores voters: Ask Republicans for their answer to inflation before a blind vote.
- Oil companies are fraudsters: They make record profits then blame Biden for ripping us off for it.
- Watch Starbucks CEO say he won’t work with unions for incoherent reasons. HUBRIS? My Take.
- There’s an oil glut, not a shortage. High prices are a worldwide fraud by corporations. Here’s why.
- Matthew Dowd: Do you really want to turn the country over to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
- REALLY! Fox News exposed former GOP Rep. Devin Nunes as he lied about Jan 6th ratings.
- Joe Scarborough excoriates Republicans for sticking with Trump as he pointed out their deeds were evil.
- Dr. Eddie Glaude calls out MAGA Republicans for what they are and urges the media to do the same.
- Economist calls out ‘Banana Republicans’ as responsible for much of America’s economic problems.
- Soon, you won’t own your homes. This system is killing home ownership and your future.
- Register Now For “Ask Egberto Anything”
- Lead counsel to Trump impeachment: What Donald Trump should be seeing are handcuffs