Most Americans are Progressives so we should be winning
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
Progressives, are you tired of losing? Policies that we want, create, and support are the policies Americans want. How do we know? They tell us when asked absent ideological queues.
So how do we connect our policies with winning? We must start locally. We must build alliances that ultimately change minds when the common good is realized. A park is not Democratic or Republican. It is the commons. The successful education of our kids in science and math is not Republican or Democratic. Results are absolute. Solve local problems and the local problem solvers will eventually become the national problem solvers. They would have earned the vote.
Today I have two special guests, Jolanda Jones and Mia Hoyt. They come from two different sides of the ideological spectrum but interestingly they are both working locally for the good of our children.
Jolanda Jones is one of Houstons most well-known former city council member, grassroots political activist, and lawyer. She starred in both the CBS’s Survivor series and her new show Sisters in Law. She was recently elected Trustee on the Houston Independent School Board. Jones is fighting the fiscal / taxation battle and has a message concerning HISD Prop 1.
Mia Hoyt is a real estate agent in Kingwood, Texas. She is also a parent of kids that attend the Humble Independent school district. She became an activist when she realized the Humble ISD was about to hire a superintendent detrimental to her kids’ education. She formed a group on Facebook and got thousands of parents activated. The school board went against the wishes of the parents and the group she formed decided to run candidates against the board.
We will discuss these issues and why we must take control of our politics locally irrespective of ideologies. After all, our fight is for the well-being of us all.
Before I get to the program, I want to remind all our listeners that KPFT is a bastion of intelligent voices and programs. As a political activist, my favorites are
- The Monitor with Mark Bebawi on Mondays at 7:00 PM
- ThinkWing Radio with Mike Honig on Mondays at 9:00 PM
- Partisan Gridlock with Geoff Berg on Fridays at 3:00 PM
- Open Journal with Duane Bradley, Marlo Blue, & Gerry van Bakel every weekday at 8:00 AM
- Jazz Latino, AfroCuban Latin Jazz at its very best hosted by Juan Flores on Mondays at 10:00 PM
- The Human Condition at 3 PM followed by The Freeminstrel Show with Don & Dwayne at 4 PM on Fridays on the KPFT HD3 side.
Check out our full schedule at kpft.org where you can find programming from music to politics, to medicine, to the eclectic. KPFT is listener supported public community radio station. So please remember that if you like what you hear, visit kpft.org and ensure we remain a strong, viable community radio station that provides news, programming, and information not influenced by the corporatocracy.
This is KPFT 90.1 FM in Houston Texas. We want to hear your voice. We want to hear #PoliticsDoneRight on Twitter @EgbertoWillies. You can listen to the live stream, or listen to the podcast/vlogcast (links at the beginning of post). Folks do remember this is a call in show. Call me at (713) 526-5738.
But let’s get to the Blog of the Week.
My Blog Posts Of The Week
- Great Economy. This is why most still unhappy & bodes poorly for Blue Wave
- California’s Low Turnout Suggests Voters Need a Better Reason to Show Up
- Here is a new mandate for today’s journalism. Force them to follow it.
- GOP Strategist: Republicans must vote Democratic over Trumpist candidates (VIDEO)
- Trump Effect: New Kingwood, TX business model: Lawn Care by ‘White People’ U.S. Citizens (VIDEO)
- Happy Juneteenth Black Folk: Brought to you By Ted Cruz & Jimmy Kimmel; Texas style
- Americans won’t ‘Sit Up’ for Great Leader Trump, because They Don’t Approve of Him
- An Urgent Message to Europe, Canada, Mexico, and Japan from United States citizens
- Robert Reich: The Constitutional Crisis is Now
- When Did the GOP Add Cowardice to its Platform?
Coffee Party Radio Shows
- Sundays 8:30 AM ET – I take Liberty with my Coffee w/ Bobby Rodrigo (Subscribe iTunes)
- Thursdays 3:00 PM ET – Lunch with Louden w/ J’nene Louden (Subscribe iTunes)
- Saturdays 1:00 PM ET – Politics Done Right w/ Egberto Willies (Subscribe iTunes)
Also published on Medium.