Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez discuss why Latinos do not vote in their comparable numbers and how that will change in 2018
You can also find previous episodes on YouTube here.
The election is just over two months away. The passion in the country is with Progressives. The question is whether they will perform commensurate with the passion they’ve been displaying since the election of the country’s first unapologetic racist xenophobic misogynist homophobic sexist president. A very important component of that Progressive space is the Latino vote. Will, that vote make its presence felt?
In the studio, today is Texas State House District 15 Democratic Candidate Lorena Perez McGill and Political Activist Jesse Ybanez.
Lorena Perez McGill is a dynamic lawyer, professor, wife, and mother with decades of experience bringing people together to help those who need help the most. She believes it is time to stop fighting in Austin and start fixing the actual day-to-day problems facing Texans. She believes that our democracy serves citizens best when voters have a choice at the polls, and checks and balances in place at the Capitol. Lorena wants to advocate for District 15 residents and make our state a better place for ALL Texans by focusing on real business and infrastructure challenges, improving opportunities in schools and working with immigrant communities on common-sense reforms. Lorena holds a Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. and a J.D. equivalent from Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra in Santiago, Dominican Republic. She is currently an adjunct professor at University of Houston Law Center and has previously been on faculty at Georgetown University Law Center.
Jesse Ybanez is retired the but is he? He is a political activist who is not only busy with his granddaughters but finds the time to do a whole lot of volunteer work. He is a member of the State Democratic Executive Committee (SDEC), Senate District 7 Section Leader, a Precinct Chair, and Election Judge. And if that is not enough, he assists in citizen’s workshops. Is there anything politically this supposedly retired man isn’t doing?
We will have some answers and marching orders today.
Before I get to the program, I want to remind all our listeners that KPFT is a bastion of intelligent voices and programs. As a political activist, my favorites are
- ThinkWing Radio with Mike Honig on Mondays at 2:00 PM
- Open Journal with Duane Bradley & crew, on Mondays at 6:00 PM
- Jazz Latino, Afro-Cuban Latin Jazz at its very best hosted by Juan Flores on Tuesdays at 12:00 Noon
- GenerAsian Radio, A weekly radio program featuring an eclectic mix of Asian Underground, Bhangra, Bollywood Funk, Hindi,Rai–where ancient sounds meet future beats! Thursday 12-2 PM
- Really But Not Really, a hip-hop and RnB parody show on Thursdays at 10 PM by Rosemount.
Check out our full schedule at kpft.org where you can find programming from music to politics, to medicine, to the eclectic. KPFT is listener supported public community radio station. So please remember that if you like what you hear, visit kpft.org and ensure we remain a strong, viable community radio station that provides news, programming, and information not influenced by the corporatocracy.
Folks do remember this is a call-in show. Call me at (713) 526-5738.
But let’s get to the Blog of the Week.
Support Politics Done Right: Become a Patron now.
My Blog Posts Of The Week
- What is a so-called “passive solar” house and can I retrofit my existing house accordingly?
- Build the wall — at Texas’ entry to New Mexico
- CNN Tapper pressures Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves on Trump election conspiracy theory, FAIL!
- CNN: Tapper & ABC: Raddatz grilled Sen. Joe Manchin with inconvenient questions & got naive
- Chuck Todd schools Senator Manchin: Filibuster was never an idea of the Founding Fathers.
- Texas PUC admits ripping off Texans during Electric Grid freeze and all but tells them to suck it up.
- How to resolve “Your content violated YouTube’s Community Guidelines and has been removed”
- WH Press Sec. Jen Psaki throws the bipartisanship question back at Republicans. You are the outliers
- This! Hallie Jackson blows holes into Republican Senator Braun’s COVID bill objections in real-time
- After explaining Medicare For All to Right-Winger w/o using its name, she blurted: You are so nice!
- Discussing race, ethnicity, differences, & equality in America at a Living Room Conversations event
- AOC is right. Giving Relief Checks to Fewer People Than Trump Would Be Nonsensical. Here is why!
- “Callous?!” Look in the Mirror, Gov. Abbott – Charlotte Vaughan Coyle
- Texas Gov. Abbott’s “Neanderthal Thinking” may be an attempt to sabotage Biden’s COVID success.
- Deregulation always benefits – somebody
- Every Democrat must use these selective words about the insurrection enablers this Congressman used
- Republican Senator who voted to convict Trump threw him further under the bus, implying he’s a loser.
- Why not supporting massive minimum wage increases is the sanctioning of wage theft.
- Is GOP Senator implying a large number of Republican COVID Relief Bill supporters are freeloaders?
- Jen Psaki squashes mainstream media pushing the Republican narrative on the COVID Relief Bill.